Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Not used that particular supplier but have used azcarparts bought a few bits from them and found them to be good quality. Probably a bit more money though.

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate.

I have bought them from buypartsby on a few occasions, but they have gone up in price quite a lot recently so I was looking to get them elsewhere. (they used to be £13 each 18 months ago, now they are £31 each)

The car has just developed a creak from the ball joint on the driver side so it is time to buy a pair of new wishbones.

I am pretty sure the ones on the car are the original ones so they have done well.

J

·
0 Posts
i have, i bought wishbones for the 156.....

they were ok, after 16,000 miles one of them was knocking again :rolleyes: this was just before i sold it, i hadn't bothered contacting them as i had done more that 12,000 miles

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have, i bought wishbones for the 156.....

they were ok, after 16,000 miles one of them was knocking again :rolleyes: this was just before i sold it, i hadn't bothered contacting them as i had done more that 12,000 miles
Was that the bush that goes across the wishbone that failed? I mean where the fork for the upright attaches or was it something else?

J

·
0 Posts
Was that the bush that goes across the wishbone that failed? I mean where the fork for the upright attaches or was it something else?
the bushes were shot after 16K miles according to a friend who is an MOT tester

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats not too good then. :(

I shall be buying from somewhere else.

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
A regular customer of ours bought a pair of GTV lower wishbones off ebay last week and we fitted them, he commented that they were very good value. The n/s one fitted (just about) but the o/s one was no good and we had to fit an OEM arm instead. I reckon that n/s arm will be knackered in a year, cheap pattern parts are usually cheap for a reason.

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Dan.

I think I will spend a bit extra and get some elsewhere. I have fitted pattern ones in the past with no problems but I guess the quality will vary.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've used that company for wishbones on a 156 I had.
As with Puds experiance, one side fitted ok but the other required a bit of 'gentle persuasion'....

They did 6k miles with me before I sold the car - no problems, and the new owner has put 8k on, with no problems to date.

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just hope it is a wishbone problem I have.

If I turn the steering wheel side to side slightly I get a creak coming from the driver side.

I also get a light irregular creak when driving slowly in a straight line.

Yesterday I sprayed WD40 on the lower ball joint and the noise stopped for a while.

·
Registered
336 Posts

If I turn the steering wheel side to side slightly I get a creak coming from the driver side.

Yesterday I sprayed WD40 on the lower ball joint and the noise stopped for a while.
Yep, sounds like bottom ball joint is on the way out. (Part of the wishbone unfortunately).

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
I have always wondered, whether the 'cheap' pattern parts are just seconds/rejects made at the same factory as the 'expensive' pattern parts.. ?

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, sounds like bottom ball joint is on the way out. (Part of the wishbone unfortunately).
Yep, the car has been stood for a few days (Whilst we had the snow) and now I have started using it again the noise has appeared, so I am thinking that water has got into the joint.

Not to worry I have changed a few now, and have a good way of doing them. ;)

I have always wondered, whether the 'cheap' pattern parts are just seconds/rejects made at the same factory as the 'expensive' pattern parts.. ?
I am not sure, some of the pattern ones have a different number of holes to the genuine items.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Pattern wishbone parts of similar design that I have seen are despite if they are
made for Fiat Brava, GTV etc. fitted with the same bushings and seems to have been made of the same company despite what is printed on the box, they are OK for Fiat
perhaps also for GTV TS but not for V6, and if you use them replace both wishbones, if you have one OEM and one pattern you may be experiencing different behavior when you turn right or left, OEM wishbones have more rigid bushings and is not too much more expensive than pattern so I recommend buying OEM.

:)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Pattern wishbone parts of similar design that I have seen are despite if they are
made for Fiat Brava, GTV etc. fitted with the same bushings and seems to have been made of the same company despite what is printed on the box, they are OK for Fiat
perhaps also for GTV TS but not for V6, and if you use them replace both wishbones, if you have one OEM and one pattern you may be experiencing different behavior when you turn right or left, OEM wishbones have more rigid bushings and is not too much more expensive than pattern so I recommend buying OEM.

:)
The 156 I fitted them to is a 2.5 v6, the cars done 14k miles with no problems yet...

·
Registered
11,203 Posts

Mine sounds exactly the same, found to be upper N/S wishbone and inner and outer cv gaiter.

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks snowangel, I am also wondering whether it is the strut top mount not just the ball joint.

It is very annoying, because althought it isn't loud your ears tune themselves into it and then you hear it all the time.

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
Thanks snowangel, I am also wondering whether it is the strut top mount not just the ball joint.

It is very annoying, because althought it isn't loud your ears tune themselves into it and then you hear it all the time.

I'm not sure what one of those is. :eek:: But if it costs money I don't like it. :lol:
The squeak is annoying!! Its so embarrassing to drive.
I bought Wishbones from EB spares so I hope they will be ok.
I have all the parts I think, just waiting for bro-in law to have a day off work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts