Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every year i nip over to Germany to see some relatives... this year i went over in my old man's audi a6 3.0tdi quattro auto.... managed to wind it up to 155mph (on the speedo) on an empty & straight stretch of autobahn just before the germany/holland border.

has anyone done a similar thing with their v6 166?.... don't get me wrong... i'm not a boy-racer, just curious as to whether the cars will actually realise their +/-150mph potentials.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
ive had mine showing 150mph on the speedo on a private track, what that relates to in real speed terms i dont know. it still had a bit left but not much. and it would only go that fast in manual mode, car changes up to 4th at 120mph in manual but much earlier in sport auto mode

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I've had mine at an indicated 150mph a few times on the Autobahns but never flat out. I'll be driving to Thuringia later this month and, weather/road conditions permitting, I'll see if there's any more than 150mph possible from the Super...;)

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
I live close to the German border (~ 30 mins), but haven't tried it yet.
Gosh selespeed

What are you waiting for..We are officially maxed at 70mph.BUT have to put speed rated tyres at twice that limit on the vehicle.

I have just discovered the Alfa V6 ROAR after putting a new Bosch Maf Sensor in Pomeo .Boy what car .Wish I had done it about 3 years ago when I bought her.

Go on give it a go safely and let us know.

Just put a new streering gaitor on Pomeo so now going for a drive..Maxed at 70 but Its hoe you get there.Not slowly anymore thanks to new maf.

P:lol: me:lol:

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
147mph for the Sportronic, 149mph for the Super and 152mph for the FL 3.2.
150mph for the 220bhp manual (later 3.0), 149mph for 226bhp manual (early 3.0) - Strange but true, per brochure!? Both autos quoted at 147mph.

·
Registered
788 Posts
OK if you can get a long stretch of road to go that fast!
I actually wound my t/s up to an indicated 130 mph once,but
according to my sat.nav the speedo was wildly optimistic,I was
actually doing 118 mph!
I think all this maximum speed stuff is pretty academic,manufacturers
use it to sell cars,I think general driveability is more important.
I have to be honest(and it surprises me to say),that both of my
twin sparks have been much nicerr cars to drive than the v6s',but to
put this in context I use a lot of pretty poor rural B roads and the
handling is much sharper on the T/S.
Something else that is very surprising,I could get 34mpg. cruising on
the m/way in my 3.0 and 29mpg out of my 5spd t/s and 31 mpg out
of my current 6spd.t/s!(down to the longer gearing)
So very much horses for courses if you do a lot of m/way driving over
long distances v6 is the one,or if you want something nippy and
more useable over the twisty stuff t/s is just fine.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I think all this maximum speed stuff is pretty academic,manufacturers use it to sell cars,I think general driveability is more important.
Yes, most of the time, driveability is far more important than top speed. But then why are so many high performance cars sold in the UK where, unless you're willing to lose your licence and have a huge fine, you can barely begin to use the power available? :confused:.

I have to be honest(and it surprises me to say),that both of my twin sparks have been much nicerr cars to drive than the v6s',but to put this in context I use a lot of pretty poor rural B roads and the handling is much sharper on the T/S.
The lighter weight of the TS has been mentioned before re handling. What about in comparison to the 3.2 FL, though, or a Super with suspension properly sorted? Then you'd get the best of both worlds :).

·
Registered
754 Posts
has anyone done a similar thing with their v6 166?
Yes, I had a 166 v6 in Germany a few years back and regularly did the autobahns. We used to go from Frankfurt to Strasbourg just for Saturday lunch. Max I ever got out of it was an indicated 265 kph. It was hilarious as at 250kph you get a string of Porsches, BMW's and Mercs on their limiters running in convoy. And you sail right past them. :D

Everyone pls note that autobahns are not all unrestricted. You have to look for the unrestricted patches. And even then, best done when traffic is very light. You can easily get done for dangerous driving. Stay safe.

·
Registered
89 Posts
every year i nip over to Germany to see some relatives... this year i went over in my old man's audi a6 3.0tdi quattro auto.... managed to wind it up to 155mph (on the speedo) on an empty & straight stretch of autobahn just before the germany/holland border.
150 mph on the same road before holland border on my 3l Super. absolutely comfortable cruising speed. 3l GTV was a lot louder and uncomfortable at the same speed, but it went till 160 mph.

·
Registered
788 Posts
you are absolutely right Tony,a lot of the"prestige" cars you see in the u.k have totally absurd power outputs,which are virtually
unusable on our clogged up,congested roads.
Indeed a Super with properly sorted suspension would be a great
car,don't know about the 3.2 fl,haven't even seen one let alone
drive it.
Another problem with the v6's,petrol is now over a £1.00 a litre in
the U.K,it is getting beyond a joke!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Another problem with the v6's,petrol is now over a £1.00 a litre in the U.K,it is getting beyond a joke!
Juice being a pound a litre makes the maths easy.

Lets say I do 5,000km in a 166 3 litre (your mileage may vary). Give or take, it would drink about 600 litres in a V6 and 400 litres in a TS. That's £200 difference. I'd happily pay that for one of the greatest engines in the world. :D

Of course if you do commuter mileage in it it's a bit of a different picture.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
140mph & climbing, restricter kicked in (wife) :(

Done 170mph in a 200SX (no restricter) :)

D

·
0 Posts
Hmm, fastest I got my 156 V6 to was 130MPH, didn't have it long. But the Galant has done 145MPH downhill, that's off the speedo though so probably about 137MPH or something around there.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Well, if we're talking about other vehicles, I did have 185mph out of my Hayabusa a few years ago. I still miss the 0-100mph in 4.5 seconds and enormous acceleration after that, right up to 200mph...:eek:

Re Autobahns, as Paul says, there are only certain sections which are restricted - sometimes long, sometimes quite short - and if you get it wrong, you'll be in for a heavy fine. Also, if you're above 120km/h and have an accident, regardless of the circumstances, some blame will be attached to you...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts