Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a car from lovealfa.co.uk and wondering if anyone here has had any experience of them as a company?

Many thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a car from lovealfa.co.uk and wondering if anyone here has had any experience of them as a company?

Many thanks
They used to be called second city motors, it's the same guys. There is a thread for them. I bought my 156 from them 10 years ago, and would go to them again I suppose. Only thing is that it isn't the easiest locality to get a decent test drive being just off the middle ring road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
I bought my GT from there a few weeks ago and the cars are superbly turned out.
Give it a thorough inspection and point out any issues and they will fix them as I had a small body work blemish that they fixed.
You're perhaps a bit limited on going for a test drive as the roads in the area are mostly 30 mph.
Whilst still at the garage and having bought the car, I had a glow plug warning light on first start up which Love Alfa made arrangements to sort out a few days later.
After a week or so, there was an issue with the car being reluctant to accelerate in 4th, 5th & 6th gears which I brought to the attention of Love Alfa and also Autocasa (Coventry). Autocasa , who is my local garage that I have been to for many years, changed all the glow plugs and for a couple of days the problem disappeared but then got progressively worse and clearly was unrelated to the glow plugs. The lack of power and increasingly severe vibration suggested something quite serious and Love Alfa arrange for me to take the car to Motomech in central Birmingham (yesterday).....the drive shafts needed urgently replacing which was done whilst I spent a few hours bimbling around the city centre. Love Alfa did offer me a courtesy car, but not a Spider as I requested, but it was not required as Motomech had the car all fixed by late afternoon and the car runs as it should.
A colleague and friend has just bought a 147 from Love Alfa and it also has minor issues which Love Alfa have agreed to fix.

In summary, yes I would thoroughly recommend Love Alfa but give the car a good inspection and make sure every knob, button and gadget works !...you do get a 3 month AA warranty which you can extend, and I suggest you do but I didn't, up to a 12 months.
Andy:jester:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my 159 from lovealfa.co.uk - it was on a quite busy Saturday (apparently they already sold five cars that day and I was there at 10 AM), over all very polite, no pressure to buy the car. As it was mentioned previously, quite limited test drive area, mostly 30mph, city centre traffic... Car itself was prepared for sale - valeted/waxed to make it more pleasing to the eye, no major issues found, just a little hum/whirring sound which apparently is the "regular engine note" as I was told - it gets louder as the speed increases regardless of the gear selection (still no idea what it is, possibly a wheel bearing). After about two weeks car developed a squeaking sound when turning the steering wheel, which turned out to be a cracked ball joint (lower arm). In my opinion the ball joint was greased for the sale, so it only makes me wonder what else is there waiting to surprise me :p

Just to summarise - I am pleased with the their service, obviously it is not a brand new car I bought, so there will be some parts to replace, I should also mention I got a key code free of charge, as my car came with only one key and I am in the process of getting the spare one ordered from Italy.

Good luck,
V.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yes, I bought my Spider 948 and 159 TI from Tobin and Andrew last year. They are a sound bunch of guys and Andrew through his family heritage here in the North East has become a friend! Highly recommend and there selection of cars and after service was impeccable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I feel I should update you on my experience with 'love Alfa'.

Tobin & Andrew are genuinely nice guy's, very approachable and happy to discuss all things Alfa!

I purchased an 08 Plate Brera 2.4JTDM from them a few weeks ago. I pestered them via email for a while, then finally spoke to Andrew who was very kind and patient when going through the whole car over the phone. (I live in Brighton so had to be sure before making the trip) Andrew secured the car for me with a small deposit and then offered to collect me from Birmingham train station.

I was happy with the car, freshly MOT'd, cam belt/pump/pulleys changed and various other items replaced to bring the car up to a high retail standard for its age. The service was great and overall a great purchasing experience.

Sadly though we had a problem! Less than 5 days in and the clutch went, slipping in 4th, 5th & 6th when on full power. I was gutted. But after emailing and calling Tobin, he immediately offered a full refund on the car and for it to be collected from me at no charge. I rejected this offer as I wanted to keep the car, I wanted the car fixed and although the warranty would not cover the clutch failing. Tobin agreed to collect the car, give me a Guillietta as a courtesy car whilst mine was away & send the car to MotorMech for a full clutch and flywheel replacement.

A clutch is a wear and tear item and could have failed at anytime, and it was only slipping in certain circumstances so was not always apparent. Most dealers would have washed their hands of me and I would have been lumbered with a big bill to pay!

I could not recommend Tobin and Andrew enough if you want to buy a used Alfa, they are kind, fair and great communicators, I was always kept informed throughout the whole process.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Love Alfa on here.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Sadly though we had a problem! Less than 5 days in and the clutch went, slipping in 4th, 5th & 6th when on full power. I was gutted. But after emailing and calling Tobin, he immediately offered a full refund on the car and for it to be collected from me at no charge. I rejected this offer as I wanted to keep the car, I wanted the car fixed and although the warranty would not cover the clutch failing. Tobin agreed to collect the car, give me a Guillietta as a courtesy car whilst mine was away & send the car to MotorMech for a full clutch and flywheel replacement.

Steve
I'm just a bit confused...did the dealers pay for the repairs, or did you have to dip into your own pocket?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just a bit confused...did the dealers pay for the repairs, or did you have to dip into your own pocket?
Tobin paid for clutch, ancillaries, and all the labour. They also returned my car full of fuel, paid for someone to collect and return my car and gave me the courtesy car all insured for no charge.

I decided to add a flywheel change as the gearbox was out, which I paid for as I believed this was a prudent thing to do. It didn't need changing due to wear or failure, but I decided that I'd rather not have to pay for the gearbox to come out again for a worn flywheel during my ownership.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Tobin paid for clutch, ancillaries, and all the labour. They also returned my car full of fuel, paid for someone to collect and return my car and gave me the courtesy car all insured for no charge.

I decided to add a flywheel change as the gearbox was out, which I paid for as I believed this was a prudent thing to do. It didn't need changing due to wear or failure, but I decided that I'd rather not have to pay for the gearbox to come out again for a worn flywheel during my ownership.
Things can and do go wrong but it is how the matter is dealt with that is important imo. That sounds very fair. Now you can enjoy the Brera.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought my Brera S from them in January, very pleased with how the sale went.

I had the car 2 days and the exhaust snapped where it meets the prodrive backbox. I was a bit annoyed at first when I spoke with them as one of the first things they said was "it's not covered by the warranty". They did say they would get it sorted, but I had to get the car to them the following Saturday (leaving me with no car as it broke on a monday), get the train home and be without a car for another week as couldn't get the train back until the following Friday.
A month later, it snapped at the other back box. They were very apologetic and again offered to get it sorted, this time with a courtesy car.
I also asked about the oil temp not working (appears to be intermittent, but very rarely does it read) and was told that the oil doesn't get hot enough for a reading. I've not read anything to contrary and I do get an oil level reading when ignition on.

I think I would use them again, they have been helpful over the exhaust, and I know it can be hard to tell when an exhaust is going to break. Both Andrew and Tobin seem knowledgeable and helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts