Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a run-around at the moment for the missus as I dont like the idea of her touching my Alfa :tut:
Anyway I've seen these cars have become insanely cheap these days (one good thing about all this gloom) and since I've liked the IS200 for a while I figured why not. Has anyone ever had one? Anything to look out for or they are notorius for?

01 Lexus IS 200 'Sport' for sale in Mayo : €1,450 - DoneDeal.ie

I quite like this one, and for 1400e you get TRC, a snow button (whatever that is) heated seats etc etc. Absolute bargain IMO

K

·
0 Posts
mate at work had one, very nice car to drive. lacked a bit of torque though, only a 2.0 but straight 6.
sounded ok, loads of toys, almost 30mpg is driven sensibly.
can't fault them :cool:

bombproof too

·
Registered
26,130 Posts
Drove one years ago.
Not very inspiring to drive but very quiet inside, comfortable seats, bit underpowered in my opinion.

Lexus have a reputation for solid, dependable cars.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Drove one years ago.
Not very inspiring to drive but very quiet inside, comfortable seats, bit underpowered in my opinion.

Lexus have a reputation for solid, dependable cars.
precisely what al said. my old boss had one back in 98/99 when they first came out. i drove it quite a lot and it was er..... nice. slow, dull, but 'nice'.

you still see plenty of older ones on the roads and they all look in good nick, testament to they way they're put together in the first place :thumbs:

C

·
0 Posts
A good friend of mine has a 99 year is200 and its just failed on rust and he has had to spend over £1300 on parts and labour incl new brakes getting it thru the mot.Sluggish but ok to look at....

Defenately not for me.

K

·
0 Posts
agreed they are no racing machine, surprised they are starting to rust. seen a few through the workshop and most have been good...

do like them but would want some normal back lights instead of the lexus ones :lol:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had one many years ago and really liked it, they are not that slow at all as long as you don't mind reving the engine. Below 4500rpm they have very little torque. That does hurt economy though and I only got low 20's.

The snow button just reduces the sensitivity of the electronic throttle. It doesn't do anything to the traction control. They are totally useless in the snow! No stability control either so can bite in the wet.

Things to watch, the wheels corrode badly, check for juddering at biting point. CDs can jam in the 6 disk changer. I can't think of anything else but check out Lexus Owners Club UK

·
Registered
674 Posts
They certainly do seem to be screwed together well. If you glance on the Lexus forums you don't find talk about wheel alignment problems, cam-belt failures, leaking heater matrices or the like, all they're talking about is where they went for their holidays.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all they're talking about is where they went for their holidays.
Basically Im going to become boring :lol:

So everyone has more or less the same opinion as me, solid car with nice equipment but MPG suffers a lot - would it be like the 2.0 TS? I quite like the dashboard layout, and the heated seats are a nice feature for the winter. Will have to think about this one. Surprised they are fairly slow until 4500rpm as they have 150bhp from what i read. Wonder if there is a turbo version? Altezza maybe....

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
not sure about the altezzas but there was an is300 with a 3.0 v6

i reckon i've only ever seen 2 though so they'll be like rocking horse poo if you're looking for one :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah ive rarely seen one, but looking at the Altezza last night and they have a nice engine that Lexus didnt use. Yamaha Beams its called. 220bhp from a 2.0 - not turbo'd if im right but as they are Jap imports then they are limited to 180km/h..

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I think there can be g/box clutch problems if you do some research.

I think the non VVTI ones could be non-interference. :)

The BEAMS one isn't non-interference.

The build quality of my teenage Toyota seems spot on to me, and I don't think I'd mind if every car was built to the same standard.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i read that there are some clutch problems, cant remember if there was a recall for the IS200 due to this. I had an Avensis and a Corolla before and both were built beautifully...
Seeing as you have a Toyota currently, would you advise to go for the Altezza or the IS200?

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
My Toyota survived a cambelt jump as non-interference.

Personally I think I could cope with a non-VVTi one as I doubt I'd be able to use much of the added performance of a pokier one, I am trying to keep my licence clean. I don't seem to be enjoying driving on the roads at the moment. Perhaps I am getting to the pipe and slippers stages of wanting something dependable, reliable and not overly complicated?

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
My Toyota survived a cambelt jump as non-interference.

Personally I think I could cope with a non-VVTi one as I doubt I'd be able to use much of the added performance of a pokier one, I am trying to keep my licence clean. I don't seem to be enjoying driving on the roads at the moment. Perhaps I am getting to the pipe and slippers stages of wanting something dependable, reliable and not overly complicated?
I can buy that. I took the Gta out the other day as I had a half hour drive to do and thought I'd take the opportunity to have a blast. I never managed to get over 50 on the entire journey due to the traffic and there were no overtaking points due to oncoming traffic and I did think at one point, "what is the point in me having this car?". Not going to get rid of it mind.

K

·
0 Posts
I can buy that. I took the Gta out the other day as I had a half hour drive to do and thought I'd take the opportunity to have a blast. I never managed to get over 50 on the entire journey due to the traffic and there were no overtaking points due to oncoming traffic and I did think at one point, "what is the point in me having this car?". Not going to get rid of it mind.
it's for that reason i sold my 145 20V turbo, no point to it.

also why i'm building a track day sud with 16V power ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts