Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK has anyone changed them on a 2.4 210bhp? At the moment I'm going through a problem solving mission of a knock/tap sound. So far I've done dmf/clutch/bearing, deswirled and cleaned manifold, 5 new injectors, glow plugs, engine flush and new oil. Next on the list is tappets and followers. If you changed yours, did you change the whole lot? Can you tell which ones are faulty? Is a big job?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
OK has anyone changed them on a 2.4 210bhp? At the moment I'm going through a problem solving mission of a knock/tap sound. So far I've done dmf/clutch/bearing, deswirled and cleaned manifold, 5 new injectors, glow plugs, engine flush and new oil. Next on the list is tappets and followers. If you changed yours, did you change the whole lot? Can you tell which ones are faulty? Is a big job?
Can you pin point the noise by any chance?
Does it come more from the battery side or is it across the board all areas?
There is a reason I ask but have you tried a good engine flush/oil change just in case you have some blocked oil feeders?
A common one is the feed at the battery end of the cam which can give you this tapping sound?
Another possible is the vacuum pump again the same side?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you pin point the noise by any chance?
Does it come more from the battery side or is it across the board all areas?
There is a reason I ask but have you tried a good engine flush/oil change just in case you have some blocked oil feeders?
A common one is the feed at the battery end of the cam which can give you this tapping sound?
Another possible is the vacuum pump again the same side?
Yes it's on the battery side, I used a flush and done an oil change today. It sounds like it's coming from the rear of the block.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Yes it's on the battery side, I used a flush and done an oil change today. It sounds like it's coming from the rear of the block.
Stab in the dark but I would say it’s your vac pump?
Get a screwdriver, stick it onto the pump and stick yer ear onto the handle - have a listen??

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a listen to it, don't think it's the pump. Can only really hear it off the injectors or fuel rail. Really hard to pinpoint. Just hope it's not big/wee ends. Though it hasn't got any worse.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi slightly off topic ....I see that you replaced your glow plugs ....i just bought a set yesterday for fitting any tips or suggestions? many thanks Bill

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hi slightly off topic ....I see that you replaced your glow plugs ....i just bought a set yesterday for fitting any tips or suggestions? many thanks Bill
Give them a good spray with penetrating oil for a few days before changing. When you come to change warm engine up first then with a 1/4 9mm socket gently try to loosen and tighten again... repeat this process until they come out freely. Any creaking/tightness when loosening give a spray with penetrating oil and gently tighten a bit before trying again.
Can be a tedious task but last thing you wanna do is snap one.
Coat threads of new plugs with copper slip just in case you need to change again in the future

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, more fecking problems. got it all back together started it up and its running like sh*t, sounds like its backfiring through the air filter, done a scan error code p0335 crankshaft sensor no signal, rechecked the timing everything looks ok, checked connections. anyone had this problem before i buy a new sensor, or burn the thing to the ground?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Seems unlikely the sensor would fail at the precise moment you do this work. Without seeing it the backfiring would suggest you have the cam timing a tooth or two out.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Was that first start after replacing the lifters?
Double check belt timing is bang on,if all ok could it just be the lifters needing to fill up with oil?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts