Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been looking at this for a while.
Alfaholics Trackday/Race Front Suspension Geometry Pack

I am wondering if this part will improve really the road handling?

Cheers
Andre

Attachments

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
You'll need good knowledge and setting up to get the best out of it because you'll effectively be trying to set up race front wheel geometry. Which will then not work so well on the road (heavy steering, uneven tyre wear).

If you are on standard suspension at the moment I'd recommend a handling kit which will have more instant effect. I have the fast road handling kit with yellow Konis on my GT and it is much tauter than the spider plus it looks a bit meaner as it is lower.

I'd certainly say fit a handling kit before that adjustable suspension, which is pretty advanced stuff. All the usual suppliers offer handling kits and I'd probably say it would have more bangs for your buck.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have 4 red konis on the way, did I make a mistake? Are the yellow better? if yes why?
Ok I will look at the handling kit.

Cheers

Andre

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Yellow are more track oriented but not so good on the road. The ride on our roads is very hard with my yellow shocks. If the majority of your use is for roads then red is the right choice.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you're using the car on the road only then forget the geometry kit and go for a handling kit instead. It's money better spent. The geometry kit is designed to correct the front roll centre of the car when it's lowered quite a way (for track use). For small amounts of lowering (about 2 inches) the standard geometry is ok but after that it goes a bit wrong and the front roll centre disappears below ground level which is undesirable. The geometry kit sorts this out by lowering the car without altering the angle of the bottom wishbone by quite so much as just fitting shorter springs.

Your Koni reds will be ok with standard springs but the increased spring rate of the handling kit really need Koni yellows to damp them properly.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Ok I take note thanks.
Since we are talking about geometry, what about a chassis stiffener?
Is that a real improvement, again for road use only...
Cheers

Andre

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Hi,

Ok I take note thanks.
Since we are talking about geometry, what about a chassis stiffener?
Is that a real improvement, again for road use only...
Cheers

Andre
I can't get my head around that chassis stiffener, it just looks to flimsy to me to be of any use at all.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,

Well the thing is I have read few review on the web saying that this stiffener really improve the strenght of the chassis.
But I am very surprised that being so magical NOBODY has mention on this forum which I consider as a reference. Many members are so knowledgeable about 105 that I would expect them to recommend it.

On top of that the cost of the stiffener plus the cost of the shipping comes up to a bit.

Is that the cure for cowl flex, I have yet to be convince. Though I d love too.
Happy new year of the tiger.
Andre

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not sure about flimsy, the concept is that it gives additional rigidity to the chassis once bolt on.
In theory it make sense...

Andre

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Personaly I don't believe it does make sense. But I haven't tried one so my comments should be taken in context.

It's not something which is widely known about in the UK anyway, certainly the 105 forum regulars over on the UK AROC forum have no experiance with it.

Mr Mound Dog has already commented somewhere that it won't be finding it's way on to the Alfaholics cars, that says something to me.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just two of many threads about the chassis stiffener can be read here and here.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I have been on this forum, this is where my interest come from.
A lot of positive feed back.
So I am sicking for more...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts