Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted uprated antiroll bars and stiffer springs on S4 Spiders with great results, and am thinking about the Alfaholics antiroll bars for my 916 now. Fitting looks a lot more involved, though, at the front end than it was for the S4.

Has anybody here fitted them, and can you comment on ease/difficulty?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I fitted uprated antiroll bars and stiffer springs on S4 Spiders with great results, and am thinking about the Alfaholics antiroll bars for my 916 now. Fitting looks a lot more involved, though, at the front end than it was for the S4.

Has anybody here fitted them, and can you comment on ease/difficulty?
I've had those bars fitted but can't report any feedback as I haven't got the car back from the garage yet. I had them fitted at the time as the engine was out (being replaced) and had been told that it was so much easier to change the front one with the engine/radiator/sub frame out. The rear was an easy change.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
637 Posts
Similar to CGC.. still at the garage. It must be that time of year !

Only have the rear on mine for now which I expect to make it rather lively !

That is probably going to be the case until Clutch/Flywheel/Q2/Cambelt/service time over next winter, when ill take the opportunity to have the front one and the refurbished subframe and polybushed wishbones mounted. Really hoping the results will be a very tight and responsive front end.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Similar to CGC.. still at the garage. It must be that time of year !

Only have the rear on mine for now which I expect to make it rather lively !

That is probably going to be the case until Clutch/Flywheel/Q2/Cambelt/service time over next winter, when ill take the opportunity to have the front one and the refurbished subframe and polybushed wishbones mounted. Really hoping the results will be a very tight and responsive front end.
I had the qualfie diff fitted at the same time so it maybe hard to tell which makes the biggest difference. Really need to replace all the brushes, shocks and springs to get it up to scratch though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I Fitted them to mine, the rear is a 20 min job, the front requires removal of the subframe as ARB is bolted to top of it, i fitted them at the same time as springs, shocks and bushes.

[/URL]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks all for the replies. It looks doable (famous last words!), but will take a few hours, assuming all bolts and nuts come undone OK. I'll have a look at it in the warmer weather, I think.

The photo and diagrams are very helpful, thanks Spudkey.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks all for the replies. It looks doable (famous last words!), but will take a few hours, assuming all bolts and nuts come undone OK. I'll have a look at it in the warmer weather, I think.

The photo and diagrams are very helpful, thanks Spudkey.
Had them fitted professionally to my V6 Spider along with their exhaust system. Can't comment on ease of fitment but its much flatter cornering and sharper turn in now. All down to the bars as the suspension is otherwise standard.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Had them fitted professionally to my V6 Spider along with their exhaust system. Can't comment on ease of fitment but its much flatter cornering and sharper turn in now. All down to the bars as the suspension is otherwise standard.
Sorry for the mini hijack-Phil what are your thoughts on the exhaust? Pm me if you want.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
One word of warning; the steering rack bolts need to come out when you remove the subframe - they are easy to snap. I've had a couple of these shear off, on separate cars. Use loads of plus gas before you try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: anglospider

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had a couple of these shear off, on separate cars.
Good tip, thanks. Are they bolts that go all the way through to a nut on the other end i.e. you can replace the bolt if they shear ? Or do they go into threaded holes/captive nuts and have to be drilled out if they shear?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
They go into threaded holes in the steering rack (x2). Depending where they shear will depend on whether you can get mole grips on any protruding part or whether you need to drill them out. A local engineering firm tried to drill mine out but they damaged the rack too much. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
When mine was taken from the subframe the garage didn't even mention it, so I presume they came out fine. Just pot luck if yours shear or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts