Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else ever noticed that a clean car goes faster and smoother than a dirty one?:)

I realise it is probably the placebo effect but my cars always seem to drive better when they're clean!:D

·
Registered
204 Posts
agreed, a clean car cuts through the air faster than a dirty one:)

remember the old saying...... if its clean, it drives like a dream:D
( actually i made it up:p )

but why do the formula 1 boys keep their cars so clean, run identical cars on the same track (one dirty one clean) and its almost a certanty the clean car will be faster than a dirty one:)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, there is science behind it!

I would copyright the slogan "if its clean, it drives like a dream" - it might get nabbed by autoglym or suchlike! :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
I wish it was true but the effects of the aerodynamics boundary layer mean the cleanliness of the paint has very little impact.

I presume the F1 teams keep the cars nice and clean is so that everyone can see the sponsors adverts

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Vauxhall noticed this a long time ago! In the driver's handbook for my first car, an HA Viva (!), under 'cleaning' it said: 'Remember, a clean car always seems to run better than a dirty one'.

·
Registered
611 Posts
AFAIR - A dirty car will actually go faster, by milliseconds. I read that somewhere, smoething to do with the airstream around the vehicle and the dirt particles......

I am sure I read that, I'll investigate.

Although, I do agree with the OP, I much prefer driving my car after it gets a good scrub, inside and out. Which is exactly on the cards for tomorrow....

·
Registered
895 Posts
AFAIR - A dirty car will actually go faster, by milliseconds. I read that somewhere, smoething to do with the airstream around the vehicle and the dirt particles......
Maybe for the same reason why the interior surface of inlet pipes should be grained rather than polished. I think JamesG mentioned this a while ago.

·
Registered
988 Posts
A clean car shows pride in ownership, it is worth more money but it seems not to be any quicker http://www.answers.com/topic/boundary-layer
http://www.answers.com/topic/no-slip-condition

With regards to inlet pipes not being to smooth, I think this is deliberately created to aid airflow by reducing the boundary layer effects.

I should add that it has been quite a few decades since I last read around this area so old age and failing memory might mean that I am wrong

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes, a clean car feels quicker. As does one that you've just brimmed with petrol. Which is weird, 'cos it weighs more....

·
Registered
204 Posts
ok, i bow down to the superior knowledge of of Mr lowejackson:)

so i have come up with another slogan.....

keep it clean, itll make you cream:D :lol:

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Some cars do have a soul. Souls need regualr cleansing to operate more efficiently. Alfas have soul. Nuff said.:D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The fuel thing is absolutely spot on aswell!

Cars do, wierdly enough, seem faster when they're absolutely brimmed with go-go juice

B

·
0 Posts
:( Every time I clean my car it rewards me by running like a pig.........

:p It never gets too filthy,but seldom looks pristine as an hour spent with the bucket and sponge normally results in the idle going to pot or strange noises appearing from nowhere :cry:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blimey!

You need to shift this curse.

Maybe of we all clean our GTVs this weekend we can break your spell!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts