Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 147 GTA

I finally have to admit the front end on this car is awful. The handling is nothing to shout about (pushes) but the ride is the worst of any car I've had.

Bushes have all been changed to the plastic non Alfa ones

What would you recommend for a revamp as regards to alternative dampers / springs etc and approx costs?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Your never going to make the GTA a fantastic handler, its got a whopping great V6 over the front wheels.

I'm assuming your on standard springs/dampers, but then your complaining about the ride - because its too wallowy? In which case, a good set of Coilovers will sort it. I believe Koni FSD's are the way forward...I've got the Autodelta stuff, but I find it too harsh.

Other upgrade would be the Q2 Differential, its *essential* - massively improves handling and reduces the chances of expensive diff explosions. £500ish including fitting.

But we need a bit more info on what you find to be the issue, and what you want to achieve...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it doesn't wallow at all. On the contrary its very good in that respect. It loosens my fillings, it crashes and jars over small bumps... if I'm trailing the brakes it bottoms (or appears to) badly.

Yes I understand the lump makes it push, thats an expensive fix, its the ride I can no longer accept. BMW's and Audis seem like technology from a different centuryin comparison. Shame they have dull engines

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
have you sorted it? or was that a sarcy comment :confused:

·
Registered
159 Posts
It loosens my fillings, it crashes and jars over small bumps...

What size wheels and tyres do you have ?

When I was on the OE 235 35 18's It was very, very harsh. It even blew a sidelight on two seperate occasions when I went over ruts in the road !

225 40 18's made it far more bearable.

Obviously not applicable if you have the 17's.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Wow. Wealth of information on here.
Lol comments like that won't help your cause :lol:

The 147 GTA is never going to handle like a gokart because it's got a great big gut but it's fast in a straight line which makes up for it a bit. If you want to improve the handling try the following

Koni FSD perhaps with a new set of springs if you've done a few miles
Q2 LSD
Strutbrace
Ensure all bushes front and rear are good - your polybushes could be making it rather harsh.
A good set of branded tyres.
4 wheel steering alignment

If that fails sell it and buy something like an M3 or Porsche 911.

N

·
0 Posts
No it doesn't wallow at all. On the contrary its very good in that respect. It loosens my fillings, it crashes and jars over small bumps... if I'm trailing the brakes it bottoms (or appears to) badly.

Yes I understand the lump makes it push, thats an expensive fix, its the ride I can no longer accept. BMW's and Audis seem like technology from a different centuryin comparison. Shame they have dull engines
Your shock absorbers are shagged. This results to the suspension bottoming out early and hit the bump stops.
Fit a set of new shocks and the problem will go away. If you fit Koni FSD even better.
BMW and Audi technilogy is indeed from a different century, probably the 19th.
To defend this statement i will say only one thing, Alfa invented Common rail 12 years ago when everyone else was still trying to utilise unit injectors and rotary VE pumps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not bothered about handling, its good enough for my driving. I use a bike for thrills. Its the ride I want to improve. This is my lazy day transport

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
When I was on the OE 235 35 18's It was very, very harsh. It even blew a sidelight on two seperate occasions when I went over ruts in the road !
So that's why I've been through 2 sidelights in 4 months, it's even worse with 19s :(

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Surprised that you are finding the suspension so bad - I admit that it's not perfect, but not the worst I've seen. However mine did feel very awful at one point when the bushes were on the way out. Just changing those can transform the car...

For what it's worth, a mate has recently got a new Audi A6 Le Mans - I was shocked how harsh the ride was, even against my GTA

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Fitting poly-bushes to the front probably wont have helped the ride, I was advised against it by several people, the back is ok but the front is best left standard unless you are doing track days.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
If you want the ride improving and less crashy, get a set of KONI FSD's.

That is all. :sirs:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
As I've posted more times than I care to remember, my advice for all but track work in a GTA is to keep the standard springs (thus ride height) and ARB's and fit Koni FSD's plus at the same time ensure the bushes are fine - front lower arms and ARB drop-links being the usual suspects. I also think a front strut brace is well worth it for beter steering feel, grip, and solidity over bumps.

Having owned my GTA from new I was pleasantly suprised at the ride/handling/damping and at 48k miles it had barely deteriorated - however as standard it is highly surface dependent and on the bumpy stuff it grounds badly and has poor body control. Basically the GTA has poor primary ride (ability to handle the big stuff) but OK secondary ride (ability to handle small bumps). In this respect it's the exact opposite of current S-Line Audis and many M-sport BMW's. I personally found the standard GTA handling fine on decent surfaces too.

However, fit a set of FSD's and ensure the bushes/alignment are correct - and all of a sudden primary and secondary ride are leagues ahead of where they were, and grounding only happens if you drive like a fool. Add a Q2 diff and the traction - even when turning hard - is incredible and torque steer all but disappears. Then you can enjoy the car as it should have been.

For the record I'm currently commuting in a mint low miles 2005 ("B7" model, i.e. the one just replaced) A4 2.0T S-Line that I bought for my wife and am currently evaluating (she chose it but doesn't like it :rolleyes: ). Primary ride is OK - it never grounds - but the secondary ride is absolutely awful on roads even the standard GTA handles easily. The GTA modded as described is a far more capable and relaxing steer. The Audi is well screwed together and has a grippy front end that handles the power really well, but it really lacks handling fluency and adjustability even compared to a standard GTA - it's fine on single corners but throw in a sequence of challenging bends and the anodyne, slow, light steering and lack of keeness to change direction are very marked next to the Alfa. And despite it having a modern well-regarded turbo engine, it has reminded me why I generally buy cars with normally aspirated 6+ cylinder engines - the Alfa's engine is a masterpiece but the Audi's is juts a component that does a job - and modern turbos still have lag!

If we keep the Audi as her car I'm adding a set of FSD's as the Audi lot rate them as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts