Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above, really. To those that have had time to run in the system, are you glad you spent the extra and have you had a chance to compare to the standard system? And for those with the standard system, what's your opinion of it? Can anyone compare either to the Giulietta's optional Bose.

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2017
1,463 Posts
As above, really. To those that have had time to run in the system, are you glad you spent the extra and have you had a chance to compare to the standard system? And for those with the standard system, what's your opinion of it? Can anyone compare either to the Giulietta's optional Bose.
Nope - save your money and spend it on an aftermarket upgrade if you want good sound. The HK is nowhere near as good as premium sound options in all the competition. Can't compare with the standard system as have only listened to the HK

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
is it because the HK is in surround mode ? i had a similar system in my old car and it sounded woeful compared to just plain stereo

left it off permanently, still sounded bad, but not as woeful as the surround setting

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope - save your money and spend it on an aftermarket upgrade if you want good sound. The HK is nowhere near as good as premium sound options in all the competition. Can't compare with the standard system as have only listened to the HK
What aftermarket upgrades exist for the Giulia sound system? And how intimate do you have to get with disassembling the interior to install them?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'd option it again. It sounded ropey when new but it sounds much better now. I stream Spotify over Bluetooth and it sounds good. Lots of bass and goes loud enough. I'm happy.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Early days for me, treble is crisp, bass notes can be a bit hit and miss, but that might be because its not settled. Also the music source and recording can make a difference.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The HK system only has Bass Mid Treble adjustment, right? No Loudness or Eq settings to fiddle, just like the standard system?

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,146 Posts
The HK system only has Bass Mid Treble adjustment, right? No Loudness or Eq settings to fiddle, just like the standard system?
Yes, only 3 adjustments, no EQ! which is the only dislike for me. Sounds better once run in but perhaps not up to the other premium systems out there. I personally think its limited by the Connect system's lack of EQ adjustment.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015
350 Posts
I should be ordering my Quadrifoglio next week and I've been thinking long and hard about my spec, especially the HK pack.

One of the big appeals of the HK pack for me is the impact it has on the cars appearance, with the extra interior ambient lighting included with the pack, the exterior door handle lights (with the mandatory convenience pack) and to a lesser extent the look of the extra tweeters. However first and foremost you're paying for a sound system and with the mixed reviews of its sound quality, it's a lot of money to pay for some extra lighting. I need to hear the sound for myself to justify this option.

My thinking at the moment is sacking off the HK along with the mandatory convenience pack and the electric seat pack and going for the Carbon Racing seats...

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2017
1,463 Posts
I should be ordering my Quadrifoglio next week and I've been thinking long and hard about my spec, especially the HK pack.

One of the big appeals of the HK pack for me is the impact it has on the cars appearance, with the extra interior ambient lighting included with the pack, the exterior door handle lights (with the mandatory convenience pack) and to a lesser extent the look of the extra tweeters. However first and foremost you're paying for a sound system and with the mixed reviews of its sound quality, it's a lot of money to pay for some extra lighting. I need to hear the sound for myself to justify this option.

My thinking at the moment is sacking off the HK along with the mandatory convenience pack and the electric seat pack and going for the Carbon Racing seats...
Sounds like man maths at their best Gaz. Actually, although I've been quite vocal about my disappointment with the HK, the passive entry is really good and the electric seat pack with heated seats and steering wheel is great. Not sure what non-ambient upgrade lighting is like, but the enhanced ambient lighting isn't all that - certainly not up to Merc standards.

The seat choice has been discussed extensively on another thread. As I said there, both seats are really good and you could take the seats out and sit on crate and you'd still love the car to bits. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Enhanced ambient lighting in the Mercs make the cars look like some 16 year old has been fiddling with LED strips in the car as if it were an old Pug 206. Yuk.

I don't know what it looks like in the Giulia, but if it doesn't look like it does in the Merc, that sounds like a good thing to me!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The ambient lightning inside the Giulia surely does not look like new over-pimped Mercedeses. A couple of LEDs above the centre console and the rear armrest in addition to those inside door openers. That's it. I wish there were some discreet lights in the footwells too, but manage to survive without.

Attachments

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015
350 Posts
The ambient lightning inside the Giulia surely does not look like new over-pimped Mercedeses. A couple of LEDs above the centre console and the rear armrest in addition to those inside door openers. That's it. I wish there were some discreet lights in the footwells too, but manage to survive without.
What you are describing/showing here seems to be the standard courtesy lighting. The ambient lighting (that comes with the HK pack only), as I understand, includes lighting in the footwell and inside the door compartments. Can anyone with the HK pack confirm?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Why would anyone need lights in the footwells? Especially on the driver's side. It's not like there's going to be anything on the floor there that you'd need to see.

Door compartments, perhaps, but then again - its not like you need to read anything in the door pocket ever, and the general lighting inside the car is enough to see any obstruction there if you want to put any other object inside the compartment.

Ambient lighting really is an unnecessary gimmick that's come about as a result of LEDs being so cheap. Extra complexity and possible point of failure with no real benefit apart from making the car look like a modded boy racer thing.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,146 Posts
+1. The ambient lighting is hardly noticeable, if they stopped suddenly or turned down in Connect, I don't think I will even notice. It is very subtle. I would not buy any of the expensive HK + Convenience packs just for ambient lighting.

·
Registered
427 Posts
+1. The ambient lighting is hardly noticeable, if they stopped suddenly or turned down in Connect, I don't think I will even notice. It is very subtle. I would not buy any of the expensive HK + Convenience packs just for ambient lighting.
TBH I can't say I've actually noticed it. That was worth the extra cost then wasn't it

·
Registered
178 Posts
Although I'm sure my HK hasn't bedded in properly yet, I feel it's at least on a par with the BOSE I have in my 159, which from memory was a £600 option (back in 2010). An added bonus is that my partner was "blown away" with how cool the door handle lights were last weekend! It's probably the most impressive thing for her about the car so far (apart from when I switched to manual and floored it in dynamic on the Nth Circ last Sunday night!):lol:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I enjoyed the ambient lighting tonight. It's at least as good as the interior light package option in my Audi. I like the weird spot lights in the roof, front and rear. I also like the footwell lighting, it's all pointless but a nice touch. I'd 100% order HK + convenience pack if I was to order again. The passive entry is great, thought it's hate it, but I love it. The big old speakers in the doors are really packing a punch now. No regrets.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I enjoyed the ambient lighting tonight. It's at least as good as the interior light package option in my Audi. I like the weird spot lights in the roof, front and rear. I also like the footwell lighting, it's all pointless but a nice touch. I'd 100% order HK + convenience pack if I was to order again. The passive entry is great, thought it's hate it, but I love it. The big old speakers in the doors are really packing a punch now. No regrets.
Thanks Nick re the speakers, I've just turned surround off to see if it helps the bass a bit, but miles wise I'm a long way off you so, still plenty of time to bed in. My early miles were at night but I was probably concentrating on what I was doing and where I was going more than the interior lighting. Now its more natural I'll pay a bit more attention. Re PE, I think its great, but pressing the button to lock it just seems strange - because you have to make sure you keep your fingers away from the handle it feels unnatural.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts