Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Oh FFS :mad:

This is already happening at my current assignment location :eek: :tut:

(i.e. UK citizens getting laid off and replaced by Mumbai Mafia..... 7 so far and counting :mad: :rant: )
That lead-in paragraph is the shocker :eek: Where the frig did that come from ... the rest of the report is going off about equal pay and discrimination against the elderly. Well, yes we all agree with that bit - tell us more about the positive discrimination at selection. :rant:

Piece of **** journalism if you ask me.

O

·
0 Posts
From BBC

"Equality minister Harriet Harman has defended plans to allow firms to discriminate in favour of female and ethnic minorities job candidates.

She said firms should be able to choose a woman over a man of equal ability if they wanted to - or vice versa. "

So it's all just a smoke screen ... keep your eyes peeled, this is probably a "bad news" day! :lol:

N

·
0 Posts
She said firms should be able to choose a woman over a man of equal ability if they wanted to - or vice versa. "

That is NOT what she said on Radio4 this morning.

It will still be illegal to discriminate against women or minorities,
but will not be illegal if you discriminate against a white bloke.

O

·
0 Posts
That is NOT what she said on Radio4 this morning.

It will still be illegal to discriminate against women or minorities,
but will not be illegal if you discriminate against a white bloke.
Blimey, that's clear.

I have this theory about how women are more seduced by power than men. Consensus views go right out the window when a woman is in charge. ;)

This smacks of just such a situation prioducing a dodgy piece of legislation. Positive discrimination creates way more problems than it solves. Everyone should compete on their own merit. There's no other way.

I mean, did Hariet Harman get her job through posi......?

... yeah, ok bad example! :lol:

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
No, look it really is quite clear:

This is anti-discrimination legislation that legalises some discrimination to tackle long standing inequalities and thus address discrimination in the workplace.

Are you saying that this is contradictory? :lol:

O

·
0 Posts
No, look it really is quite clear:

This is anti-discrimination legislation that legalises some discrimination to tackle long standing inequalities and thus address discrimination in the workplace.

Are you saying that this is contradictory? :lol:
Haha, if not, it bl**dy well should be! :lol:

·
Premium Member
45,008 Posts
Blimey, that's clear.

I have this theory about how women are more seduced by power than men. Consensus views go right out the window when a woman is in charge. ;)

This smacks of just such a situation prioducing a dodgy piece of legislation. Positive discrimination creates way more problems than it solves. Everyone should compete on their own merit. There's no other way.

I mean, did Hariet Harman get her job through posi......?

... yeah, ok bad example! :lol:
Its a complete crock of sh*t in my opinion. If firms select poorer candidates because they are white or male, then this means that racist/sexist firms will have the worst candidates - and thus not be able to compete as well against firms that choose candidates based on merit.

Needless legislation in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Plans to close the gender pay gap, clamp down on age discrimination and encourage firms to discriminate in favour of female and ethnic minority job candidates

So let me get this straight in my own simplistic mind.

I advertise a position and the following candidates apply

1. A woman

2. A person from an ethnic minority

3. A white man

if i dont choose the woman because she is a woman i am breaking the law

if i dont choose the ethnic minority person because they are from an ethenic minority i am breaking the law

but if i dont choose the white man because he's not a woman or from an ethnic minority thats ok

How crap is that :eek:

Descrimination is descrimination whether its positive or negative

·
Registered
37,144 Posts
It seems to me that this Government is deliberately trying to **** off the british working class in so many area's. It is working.

I have never heard such a stupid piece of legislation. If it were the other way around there would be uproar. Equality is one thing, but that is a step in the other direction.

As I can see it, it is racist and sexist, will give the BNP plenty of amunition and in the long run is likely to cause hatred between ethnic groups.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
It seems to me that this Government is deliberately trying to **** off the british working class in so many area's. It is working.

I have never heard such a stupid piece of legislation. If it were the other way around there would be uproar. Equality is one thing, but that is a step in the other direction.

As I can see it, it is racist and sexist, will give the BNP plenty of amunition and in the long run is likely to cause hatred between ethnic groups.

How can you say that! There have been loads of pieces of legislation recently just as stupid as this.

Why only recently our office was visited by a specifically employed official from the (virtually bankrupt) Medway Council to warn us that our office front door had the wrong sized 'no smoking' sign on it.

And only a week ago I had to submit a formal ''access statement'' on the implications for the disabled of changing plastic gutters for cast iron on a church planning application.

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Well, it obviously went well last night for Gordon's New Labour, when they were beaten into 5th place in Henley and lost their deposit. As a very cynical person, I look at what has happened since Tony Bliar took over, and wondered if it was all a deliberate attempt by Tory moles to destroy the Labour party completely.
As symonh2000 pointed out, nearly all of the legislation introduced by New Labour, has resulted in the most disadvantaged people - sub average wage workers from this country - being pushed further into poverty and debt.
I find myself, for the first time ever, being unlikely to vote for any party, because I don't trust any of the lying, corrupt porkers, who all have their noses in the trough.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I'm not really sure it is a New Labour problem. The EU seems to have allowed politicians on all sides the excuse to set the UK endless targets, objectives and quotas that have very little to do with our most pressing problems.

Thus we get HH grandstanding draft legislation on daft proposals, whilst most people look on with total amazement.

Tinkering with social engineering is not concentrating the minds of Britains employees, employers, students or pensioners staring down the barrel of a 40% increase in the cost of gas! :mad:

·
Registered
37,144 Posts
The government is to blame for the price of gas... We produce gas in the summer months as gas rigs cannot simply be turned off. Obviously demand is less due to the weather so there is a large surplus. We then sell it to europe cheap and they then store it and sell it back to us when we need it at a grossly inflated prices.

How wrong is that?

O

·
0 Posts
The government is to blame for the price of gas... We produce gas in the summer months as gas rigs cannot simply be turned off. Obviously demand is less due to the weather so there is a large surplus. We then sell it to europe cheap and they then store it and sell it back to us when we need it at a grossly inflated prices.

How wrong is that?
Cash flow :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37,144 Posts
Cash flow :rolleyes:
Yes, cash flowing out of the consumers pockets.

I want to know why we don't store it ourselves...

In fact I think I may know, the Government gets the revenue for the gas and it goes to the treasury. The general public have to foot the bill for the inflated price it sells back for, so in effect it is another tax. Then there is 5% VAT on the gas, and obviously the more it sells for the more money the government gets.

·
Premium Member
45,008 Posts
Yes, cash flowing out of the consumers pockets.

I want to know why we don't store it ourselves...

In fact I think I may know, the Government gets the revenue for the gas and it goes to the treasury. The general public have to foot the bill for the inflated price it sells back for, so in effect it is another tax. Then there is 5% VAT on the gas, and obviously the more it sells for the more money the government gets.
Good explanation Sy, you are nearly as cynical as I am :thumbs: :lol:

21 - 40 of 107 Posts