Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been saving manfully for the last year and will be looking into a QV in March when the MOT on my old banger expires. I've currently narrowed down the search to post MY18 cars as I want Carplay, but the other 3 options I'm unsure about. I've had a couple of test drives and haven't managed to work out how critical these are for specs:

1) Harman Kardon. It appears that about 10-20% of used QVs for sale in the UK have HK fitted. Now whilst I understand this will be a relatively subjective question, but does anyone *without* HK feel their audio experience is lacking compared to (for instance) a standard fit stereo in a BMW/Audi/Merc? i.e. have Alfa made the non-HK variant utter [email protected] in order to sell HK? or are they good enough for the non-discerning audiophile?

2) Seats. I'm fairly sure I don't want the carbon backed ones, as the non-carbon ones were delightfully comfortable to sit in, BUT, is there any difference in this regard between motorised and manual seats?

3) Steering wheel. I'd have thought most people would have specced one of those sports steering wheels as the main choice, but I now see there's a bunch of QVs for sale with the basic steering wheel. Given the vast cost differences between used models for sale currently, I reckon it could be a moot point if I can find out how easy and how costly it is to change a basic steering wheel for the flashy one. Any ideas?

Finally, does anyone have any other "must have" options i'm missing out on?

Cheers,
Mike.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Gap insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi all,

I've been saving manfully for the last year and will be looking into a QV in March when the MOT on my old banger expires. I've currently narrowed down the search to post MY18 cars as I want Carplay, but the other 3 options I'm unsure about. I've had a couple of test drives and haven't managed to work out how critical these are for specs:

1) Harman Kardon. It appears that about 10-20% of used QVs for sale in the UK have HK fitted. Now whilst I understand this will be a relatively subjective question, but does anyone *without* HK feel their audio experience is lacking compared to (for instance) a standard fit stereo in a BMW/Audi/Merc? i.e. have Alfa made the non-HK variant utter [email protected] in order to sell HK? or are they good enough for the non-discerning audiophile?

2) Seats. I'm fairly sure I don't want the carbon backed ones, as the non-carbon ones were delightfully comfortable to sit in, BUT, is there any difference in this regard between motorised and manual seats?

3) Steering wheel. I'd have thought most people would have specced one of those sports steering wheels as the main choice, but I now see there's a bunch of QVs for sale with the basic steering wheel. Given the vast cost differences between used models for sale currently, I reckon it could be a moot point if I can find out how easy and how costly it is to change a basic steering wheel for the flashy one. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Mike.
I have manual seats and it’s never been a problem for me ... plus there’s the weight saving .. all those electric motors 😊.. but if I was buying used now I would want the sparkos ... steering wheel is a must IMO .. so cool . I also have standard sound system and the very few times I had it on i would say it’s pretty dam good...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I find the standard stereo to be pretty good actually.
The upgraded steering wheel is nice.
Electric seats depends if you share the car with someone else as they have memory settings which is very useful. Can't remember if non-electric seats are heated or not (electric are) so you might want to check that.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hi all,

Cheers,
Mike.
I didn't go for any of those options.

To my mind the standard audio system is adequate, but I'm far from a HiFi buff; the manual seat is fine for me, I'm the only driver so the electric seat has no advantage, and I'm perfectly happy with the standard wheel.

The only options I went for were red calipers, tie down points in the boot and most importantly the dark teledial wheels. The standard spoked 'ultraleggera' wheels, I was sure, wouldn't cope with Gloucestershire potholes.

Apart from options, the most important thing is a good service history and a 5 year warranty. Early Giulias came with just a 3 year one.

Avoid a car which has been used for track days, if possible. If buying from an AR dealer, ensure the car has had all software updates.

Good luck with your search,

Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my used QV this year and after much research decided that heated memory seats, sports steering wheel , green and white stitching and HK were my must haves. I found the perfect car in terms of colour, wheels, mileage, condition etc, it was just missing the HK but I bought it anyway as it was such a good one. The standard stereo is adequate but no where near the B&O system in my previous Rs4.
My local dealer had a brand new QV in the showroom at the time which didn't have the sports steering wheel and he said it would be hard to sell as everyone wants the sports wheel. He said changing it was just a no go, way too costly.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought my used QV this year and after much research decided that heated memory seats, sports steering wheel , green and white stitching and HK were my must haves. I found the perfect car in terms of colour, wheels, mileage, condition etc, it was just missing the HK but I bought it anyway as it was such a good one. The standard stereo is adequate but no where near the B&O system in my previous Rs4.
My local dealer had a brand new QV in the showroom at the time which didn't have the sports steering wheel and he said it would be hard to sell as everyone wants the sports wheel. He said changing it was just a no go, way too costly.
Auto fanatic changing the steering wheel

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The sports wheel, which am guessing is the carbon alcantara one can be bought on Ebay for a few hundred. Takes all of 10 mins to swap. Disconnect battery, pop out air bag, unplug connectors, remove holding down nut from spline, pull out steering wheel. Replace I rever order and finally reset steering wheel after first restart.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I put an M5 steering wheel complete with paddle into a 530D. As MG says, it's dead simple to change the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The sports wheel, which am guessing is the carbon alcantara one can be bought on Ebay for a few hundred. Takes all of 10 mins to swap. Disconnect battery, pop out air bag, unplug connectors, remove holding down nut from spline, pull out steering wheel. Replace I rever order and finally reset steering wheel after first restart.
Just goes to show one should never believe anything technical a UK AR salesman tells you.

Andy

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you’re an audiophile get the HK sound system. It’s considerably better IMO having used several courtesy cars with standard stereo I’ve always been very happy to get back in my Veloce with HK

Also the electric seats are nice, manuals I’ve found to be a pain in the arse.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
HK improves with settling in time and it is dynamically better sound compared to the standard which I have experienced in various courtesy cars. The standard on its own is good enough but lacks some depth and bass. The HK while definitely better also has some lacking features, the mids are too high and the bass is a bit muddled due to the fact that there isn't a proper crossover for bass which is I believe is fed the whole range. In simple terms yes HK is nice but not a massive upgrade when.compared to the likes of Bang and Oulfsen etc.

If I am not mistaken, what the 8 way electric seats do give you is the ability to tilt the seat base which the standard seats do not get. Seat tilt is necessary to get under thigh support and if you suffer from any sort of back issues. If its 6 way like in the Veloce, it does not have seat tilt!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, I must say that's exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for.

It now means for me that HK isn't a must-have and neither is the steering wheel as i'd retrofit that. Also it seems there's not much functional difference between the manual vs motorised seats.

So, one follow-on question - if I go for a non-HK car, is there anything anyone else has done regarding the bass? e.g. sticking a sub somewhere?

Cheers,
Mike.

·
Registered
888 Posts
@Mike-Bracknell proper steering wheels you can buy on ebay, brand new from Romanian seller (it is where they manufacture these for AR as far as I know) for somehting like EUR500 or so (check, as things could change - soon new look steering wheel will be in production so old may be on sale?)- fully equipped with all buttons etc, and you can even customize things like stitching colours if I remember correctly. Replace of steering wheel it is 15 minute easy job.

If you buy without HK, you can buy low profile, high efficiency speakers yourself, MDF spacers, bit of butyl audio mats and do upgrade youreslf within a few hours for <EUR200 or pay somebody for such upgrade.
I have mid range audio in my Giulia and I feel it is lacking, so going to do some updates when I get bit of time.
One more, HK in Giulia is not impressive as far as owners reviewed - they said Bose in 159 was way better quality - but that is opinion of others. HK speakers in Giulia look cheapo still if you take one out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My PCP expires on my car in March when it will be 2.5 years old and I need to decide what to do with it then. I’m not really getting much chance to use it (only 10k miles on it) as spending too much time on my motorbike and love in London. My wife is now on at me to get rid of it and get something cheaper that she’d be more comfortable driving - maybe a nearly new golf GTI or Audi S3.

It’s an Oct ‘17 car though without CarPlay. Comp Red and is well specced, but no HK sound system. If at all interesting, let me know as it may help me decide what to do. Will be a hard car to sell to be honest and not sure if I’ll be able to go back to either of the cars I mentioned!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My PCP expires on my car in March when it will be 2.5 years old and I need to decide what to do with it then. I’m not really getting much chance to use it (only 10k miles on it) as spending too much time on my motorbike and love in London. My wife is now on at me to get rid of it and get something cheaper that she’d be more comfortable driving - maybe a nearly new golf GTI or Audi S3.

It’s an Oct ‘17 car though without CarPlay. Comp Red and is well specced, but no HK sound system. If at all interesting, let me know as it may help me decide what to do. Will be a hard car to sell to be honest and not sure if I’ll be able to go back to either of the cars I mentioned!

How about buying your wife an advanced driving course, then she might enjoy driving the Quadrifoglio as much as you do.

Andy

·
Registered
189 Posts
How about buying your wife an advanced driving course, then she might enjoy driving the Quadrifoglio as much as you do.

Andy

Genius! Maybe that’s the answer and then a decent contingency put aside for wheel refurbs. Living in London with lots of parallel parking next to high kerbs, my wife unfortunately has a very laissez faire attitude to wheel scrapes!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Don't forget the earlier cars only came with 2 rear seats. Not sure if you want or need 3 rear seats but look out for that just in case it's important to you. I think the change came about in 2018 but I can't remember if it was MY2018 or just around that time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts