Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like the look of the 18" Ti rims (judging from pictutres). The 16" that came with my 166 when I bought it I don't like so much. I'm considering getting some new wheels for use in summer and keeping the 16"s for use in winter. I like the look of the 17" "horseshoe" style wheels, but the look of the 18" Ti a little better.

The 17" horse shoes are cheaper and easier to come by, and I guess 17" tyres are a cheaper too. But besides cost, what about the ride and tyre noise? Is the ride on the 18" noticably worse than on 17"?

I don't feel uncomfortable at all driving on the 16"s that are on it now. Can anyone give me an idea of the differences between 16,17 and 18" on the 166?

Edited for clarification.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
17 are great winter and summer, great for the looks and the comfort. 16 are good for comfort but dont look no way near as good.

Are you thinking of selling the 18's as id love to have a set of Ti's for mine. I only use my 166 every now and again you see so could live with the 18s lack of comfort

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have been more clear. I only have on set of wheels, the 16s that came with my car. Yeah, I'd like the 18" Ti wheels too - or how they look at least. I don't know how they affect the car/ride, which was the purpose of my question.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I should have been more clear. I only have on set of wheels, the 16s that came with my car. Yeah, I'd like the 18" Ti wheels too - or how they look at least. I don't know how they affect the car/ride, which was the purpose of my question.
Aghh got ya! Im running 17s and want to upgrade to 18s, it will be a little harder but this extra looks vs comfort make up for it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didnt notice much change in the ride, really the ride overall is quite plush compared to Lexus 220 and the newish BMW 3 series that I've had recently. So putting on the 18s makes it slightly harsher over bad roads especially when you consider the extra air pressure these need (16" at 33 psi vs 17s at 39 pounds), but its really not that bad. Ive been driving mine at around 40 psi but I think its still too low as the outer and inner edges of the front tyres wear out first, also in the lastest handbook thats been updated to include the 18" tyres it says the 17" and 18"s should be the same (2.7) which i think is wrong.

But really the pluses more then out way the minuses, more turn in grip so less understeer/torquesteer plus they look fantastic and I would say they were what the designer had intended from the beginning to fill the arch, I indended to use my old wheels as winter tyres but never did.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That car looks great with those wheels marineboy. Good to know the ride isn't bad. I think I'll be able to live with the more low profile tyres.

What tyres size do you use? 245/40 ?

My car has all season tyres on the 16s from when I bought it, so with good summer tires on 18s both grip and looks should be much better.

I'll just have to see if I can find a good place to buy the wheels next summer at a decent price.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I had the 17s on my Super and 18s on my Ti - Both slightly lower as standard but no kit.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If anyone has a picture of a 166 with the Toora (T670) wheels in 17" I'd like to see it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That car looks great with those wheels marineboy. Good to know the ride isn't bad. I think I'll be able to live with the more low profile tyres.

What tyres size do you use? 245/40 ?

My car has all season tyres on the 16s from when I bought it, so with good summer tires on 18s both grip and looks should be much better.

I'll just have to see if I can find a good place to buy the wheels next summer at a decent price.
235 40 18s which are pretty common tyre size these days for Audi BMW and Porsche, personally I dont think they need a body kit with these wheels, but maybe lower an inch or so would be nice, but the wheel really fills the arch so its a great improvement.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
16 to 17 inch didn't seem much different in terms of ride, but the steering felt sooooooo much more precise and meaty on 17's

1 - 14 of 14 Posts