Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this true - I have been havign probs with my brake pedal recently (initially Alfa told me it was the servo but now its not ). I changed the pads and discs approx 1000 miles ago, running grooved discs with greenstuff pads, the pedal has gone spongy now they have bedded in. I have had the servo checked, the brake fluid changed and the pistons calipers etc (everything) checked - there is nothing wrong anywhere - then one of the Alfa techs told me that with greenstuff pads and harder pads in general the initial bite is not as strong as softer pads so you will get that feeling of pushing your brake pedal a bit more and a bit harder but the brake efficiency/strength is still greater than OEM pads - it seems feesible, just wondered if anyone else knows abou this or has any comments to add - also they squeel like mad but I would imagine that is because of the higher metalic make up!!
Thanks in advance.
Steve

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by stewright:
<strong>Alfa techs told me that with greenstuff pads and harder pads in general the initial bite is not as strong as softer pads so you will get that feeling of pushing your brake pedal a bit more and a bit harder but the brake </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I didn't find that with Ferodo DS2000 pads - pedal weight stayed the same, but feel and stopping power increased enormously.
Did you trace the dripping fluid on your pedal box??

·
Registered
558 Posts
Which car have you got the DS2000 pads on as mine need changing at the next service?
Are you still using the original discs?

Thanks

Kris

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
I put DS 2000 pads front and rear on a 145QV with OEM disks. They were a MASSIVE improvement, and I couldn't get them to fade even when very VERY hot.
Can't recommend them enough!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ricksalfas - that fluid is just grease - apparantley - not sure what to do, dont really want to spend more money on another set of pads - have you any other ideas, I was thinking about braided hoses to toughen up the pedal????

ps - like you new piccy - you fruit tart !! he he

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by stewright:
<strong>Ricksalfas - that fluid is just grease - apparantley </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's good news then!!
You could put some brakelines on - but that might cost as much as new pads. You'll need new fluid and a full system bleed.
How's about making sure there is no grease or oil on the disks by giving them a good clean on both sides with brake cleaner. Then take the pads out and see if there are any high spots - i.e. are the pads wearing evenly? Give them a light rough up with very fine emery paper.
Then bed in as if they were new pads.
Check your rear brakes are working - are the disks as clean as your fronts??

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Go for the DS2000 pads - you won't regret it.

Major improvement over standard pads and very difficult to get them to fade. Bed in easily and once warm work very well.

Only downside - a bit more noise when braking hard - buts thats a small price to pay.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DS2000 it is then - I am off next week for a couple of days so will give the greenstuff a second chance by sanding and cleaning all the dirt/grease with brake cleaner - failing that it will have to be DS2000, ebc have had their chance !!! - how much are the ferrodo DS2000 pads, just front at the moment, the rear seem fine !!!

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
stewright,

I'm in a similar situation to you - have fitted Red Dot pads and I'm not very happy with them - its a long story.

I had DS2000 pads on before and will probably buy them again when these current pads get low.

But definitely try cleaning everything first and give your pads another chance.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
<strong>how much are the ferrodo DS2000 pads, just front at the moment, the rear seem fine !!!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Can't remember, but the good thing is becuase Ferodo are so readily available, you can get them from any motor factor so shop around!
The first stop on a cold morning is ever so slightly worse than normal, but then you are fine. They are sold as not needing warming up, and that's pretty much true. They really felt like they were chomping into the disks though.
:D
I will certainly be getting some for my 156 when the time is due!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts