Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi mates, a bit of a problem, need help :(

My car is 147 JTD 115hp 8v

I will try to explain as detail as possible. Couple a weeks ago i notice that i cannot engage in 1st and reverse gear.. Next day all were fine. Problem came back sine 2-3 days ago. A real struggle to put in 1 st gear, going from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 was not that hard but not as smooth as it should be, again gear change was easier as i go in higher gear. So here is the state of other components that should influence the diagnose:

1. This only happens when engine is running
2. Clutch pedal seems fine (not hard to press) but a little bit more soft or it is a placebo effect.
3. When i put in gear (with a force) RPM doesn`t move, it stays at 800-850
4. Bitting point is normal, clutch seems fine no slipping
5. No errors on dash.

So my concern is that i dont want to end up changing everything just to find the problem :rant:. As I managed to search the forum, solution can be starting from 5 euro with the top hats of the gear linkages, 30 euro for changing gearbox oil (witch was on my schedule) to changing clutch kit. Normally I hope for the top hats and gearbox oil as a solution.

So i ask for help what can it really be the problem. If any question please write.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
the bushes you mention only cure stiff side to side movement and not gear selection.
lift up the gaitor round the gear stick and make sure the guide it moves in is bolted down tight i had one come loose a while ago on a 156 and couldnt select all the gears properly

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How to lift gaitor?

What about other possibilities, can it be a failed master/slave cylinder, release bearing ... whole clutch :(

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Does the stick return to rest between 3/4 gear when not touched .
Mine is sticky on return and was hard to engage 3rd for a while .

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It returns normally and centered, it moves easy left right, problem is when i need to engage gear. Biggest problem is 1 and reverse ...

And my father confirm clutch pedal does seem lighter then before, a too light i would say. It does come back normal to it`s position when i press the pedal.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I am not a mechanic however I do not think it is the clutch , handbrake on and biting point checks the clutch .
Maybe gearbox or I'm thinking lineage like said already .
In my experience you would hear the release bearing on idle if it was mashed .

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I will try pumping the pedal, but since yesterday it happends all the time.

update: I tried pumping the clutch pedal and also braking pedal, it did helped it was easyer to engage gear, but still not smooth as it should be.

What does this mean, clutch needs bleeding, slave cilinder needs to be replaced ...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, problem was solved. It turned out to be slave clutch cylinder. My trusted mechanic spotted that in a moment when he remove the rubber protective cover and sow the small leaking. Master was fine.
As a preventive i changed also the gearbox oil with the spec of the manual, Tutela ZC 75 sinth 75w80. Now the gear shifting is smooth :D

Result with the changed cylinder is a bit stiffer clutch and the bitting point is more higher, somewhere between middle and fully released clutch pedal.

Thanks for everyone for your help and time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
toay pick up my daughter from school came to some lights went change gear and couldn't gear lever is free moving about clutch is fine works as should ithink its stuck in 5 gear cant be the clutch it was all replaced last year any help please

1 - 13 of 13 Posts