Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From a cold start it's very difficult to engage first gear and second it's much easier. It's not perfect when it's warm either tbh. I never force it as that's probably likely to cause more damage in the long run. I find that if I put it into reverse, it then goes into first gear. I've even had a couple of toots from folks behind when the lights change to green and I can't get it in gear! I have read "top-hat" replacement is a common gearbox job but I don't have any problem with the stick not centering so I'm not sure if it's the same problem. It's also never slipped out of gear. Any ideas? Maybe an engine / gearbox mount bush?

V

·
0 Posts
From a cold start it's very difficult to engage first gear and second it's much easier. It's not perfect when it's warm either tbh. I never force it as that's probably likely to cause more damage in the long run. I find that if I put it into reverse, it then goes into first gear. I've even had a couple of toots from folks behind when the lights change to green and I can't get it in gear! I have read "top-hat" replacement is a common gearbox job but I don't have any problem with the stick not centering so I'm not sure if it's the same problem. It's also never slipped out of gear. Any ideas? Maybe an engine / gearbox mount bush?

I think this is probably more likely to be a synchromesh issue, rather than the tophat?

If it were the tophat, then I don't think the engine being warmed up would make any difference.

You might try a slightly slicker gearbox oil? (Same grade of course).

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
It does sound a bit like a syncro. But it could wll be a clutch issue worn cyl or clutch.
As the slave is cheap and easy to fit and bleed it would be a good thing to swap and rule out.
Cylinders are about £30-60 to buy and easy to bleed. Simple job if you have ever replaced a caliper or similar.
One pipe and a large circlip.
Its easy to get to once you remove the air intake pipe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts