Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke the r/h xenon head light for the second time in a relatively short time :cry: Found cheap replacement last time, but that was due to luck. Cant afford to buy new parts and used are rare and expensive too. Regular aftermarkets HL are cheap at fleabay. So is it hard to replace xenon with regular ones? I´m thinking the wiring. Are new connectors needed? Can the motors from the xenon be reused etc?
Thankful for any advice in this matter

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
How badly broken is your headlight?
If it is just the front, could use use the front off of an aftermarket light on your existing one?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure to be honest. Glass completely broken and the housing also looks broken at first glance. At this time replacing complete unit/s would be easier I think. Have replaced glass before so i know its time consuming. Time is not something I have so much of right now..

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
Ok, not sure about a 166.
I know on a 156 that the connections are all different and the self-levelling uses an ECU in the HID ballast unit.
It has still been done though, but it isn't a simple plug-&-play job.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
would be a total pain - pretty sure the wiring will be different and you'll need to put back the electric height adjuster thing that is beside the steering wheel....pity it wasn't the left as i've got one sitting in the shed!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Niall and David. I guess that concludes my quest for a cheaper fix. Better start looking for xenon one.
Again :(

·
Registered
761 Posts
You also need to bare in mind that downgrading to halogen headlights is not just a step backwards, it's downright unsafe (due them being crap on the 166)! You'd absolutely hate them, I gaurantee it. So you are best off accepting that your best option is an expensive replacement Xenon unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts