Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

Its been a while since my last post, but trouble always knows how to find me !

Lately gear changing has become rather hard, you have to put some extra effort to shift gears. Now this happens even with the car turned off so the Clutch is out of the equation but lately changing to 4th Gear has gotten too hard. A few weeks ago, the gears shifted normaly, and there was that tiny cushion effect when changing gears, but now its gotten hard to shift and I[m beginning to worry.

I've changed my Gear Oil a year Ago used Total, but when I refilled it I might have spilt some oil when getting the plug back on, the car was jacked from the Right Side (Driver's Side on RHD). So I am worried that maybe it lacks Gear Oil but why sudden hardening?

I didn't notice any leaks, the only difference is that I've been using the car daily (100 miles a week) and it was then when they started to harden. Any Ideas ? Should I stop using it for now to Avoid damage ? Should I replace the Oil with a Better one or Grease Up Somewhere ? I'm very worried to be honest and your help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks & Regards,

Keith

K

·
0 Posts
not too sure which side the oil level plug is but the car should ideally be on level ground when filling, or be acurately filled with the correct amount although that can lead to overfilling which can be equally bad
if the oil isn't full enough then you may get away with it on short journies, but on a longer run the gearbox could be overheating, hence the sticking
or it could be nothing to do with it :lol:
best off to firtsly get the oil level checked :thumbs:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Problem is I don't have much time on my hands so I'll have to take it to a mechanic or service station to do so. I hope I didn't damage anything, its hard to jack it up DIY style with a Single 2 Ton Jack ! Is Tutela EPYX the recomended Type ?

K

·
0 Posts
not too sure which is the right oil type, but i would get a garage to check it for you on a ramp. agreed it is not always possible to get under the car AND it be level at home :(
hope it all works out ok for you :thumbs:
been to malta once before we had kids, would love to go back, smashing place & very friendly people :cool:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Advice, I'll let you know as soon as I take it to a Service Station, hopefully tomorrow.

Malta right now is Hot !! Too hot ! 90% Humidity and 38 C Temperatures. Malta is ok I guess but when you've been here all your life you see everything there is to see. I'd prefer northern climates, England & Ireland but being so obsessed with my cars I would never let them out due to the weather (I only take out my suds & 164 on Sunny Days Never See Rain or Dew !). Car Crazy. I have to wax my 33 each week to protect it from the UV Rays ! 10 -12 UV Index Can Fry a Roof and a Bonnet !

Any how thanks for your advice,

Keith

K

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the Advice, I'll let you know as soon as I take it to a Service Station, hopefully tomorrow.

Malta right now is Hot !! Too hot ! 90% Humidity and 38 C Temperatures. Malta is ok I guess but when you've been here all your life you see everything there is to see. I'd prefer northern climates, England & Ireland but being so obsessed with my cars I would never let them out due to the weather (I only take out my suds & 164 on Sunny Days Never See Rain or Dew !). Car Crazy. I have to wax my 33 each week to protect it from the UV Rays ! 10 -12 UV Index Can Fry a Roof and a Bonnet !

Any how thanks for your advice,

Keith

yep, went there in august :wow: it is hot :D after a few days i ignored the 'don't go out in the sun between 12 and 3' :rolleyes: worst sunburn i have ever had, didn't bother with sun screen in those days :lol:

you like the british weather :rolleyes: i see a house/car swap holiday coming on here :lol:

let us know how you get on with your gears :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Funny mine has been getting a little harder to shift recently too. And as you say the gearshift feels harsh (even though they were never smooth to begin with). i intend to do a full flush and refill and see if that helps a little.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just a note on the difficult gear shifting, several years back I managed to wheel spin the car between wet and dry patches of road anyway the result was I tore the engine stabiliser arm and cracked the top engine mount, the car felt funny to drive and gradually the gear shifting became difficult. I would check that the engine sits level as I think mine started to drop back when this happened.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Afternoon Fellas,

Sorry for the late reply. Well the problem turned out to be like Iain.Oglethorpe said, but it wasn't my fault :p

It turns out that my car was once involved in a bad accident (Previous Owner) and when I took it for a full service the first time the mechanic charged me so much that he forgot to tell me about the Top Engine Mount.

The Top Engine mount has moved down and has shook off the rubber inside. This caused the engine to lower itself and hence the stabilizer arm to point downwards (That's what made me think of it in the first place).

I do have to replace the Gearbox sump gasket as it is a bit moist but I have to replace the mounting ! Right now I'm a little broke so the car has to wait till next month in order to fix. Its estimated to cost me approx € 250 to fix. But this month I have my Insurance, License and MOT due for my Sud so I can't afford it :(

Thanks for all your help really appreciate it :)

Regards from Malta,

Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts