·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... are you???

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Difficult question, Pasi. :rolleyes: I like to teach, there's no doubt about that. But it's not the act of teach that makes me unhappy...

Starting with my boss, the Ministry of Education and the system behind that institution. :rolleyes: I guess you all know the problems I had from last September till December or so...

Then, the way the society looks to teachers. There's no respect any more. People take their children to the school as if the school was a container. How can someone work with this kids, try to motivate them to learn something if their own parents don't have any control over what they do outside the school? No one cares about anymore! :rant:

But that's not all... what work conditions do we have at school? During the winter we have to keep our coats on otherwise we will freeze. During the summer it's the oposite!!! :mad: The building, even recent buildings, are made of [email protected] And how many times have I waited for material that I needed in order to make some work with the kids and... there's no money to pay it!!! And how many times I ended paying from my own pocket!?! :mad: How ridiculous is to pay to work? Because that's what I end up doing... :rant:

Am I happy with my job? Fortunatly there are some moments that pay (a little bit) for all this troubles. :) But as soon I start to think about all this again... :mad:

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
I'm still thinking what I'm going to answer... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I see my job as simply as means to an end - making money! However, as I am lucky enough to enjoy what I do (Selling to the Information Management Market), I feel rather fortunate! :D

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
eminence said:
I am a student who does nothing! :D

Simon
I know that kind of students... :rolleyes:

:lol: ;)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
THROTTLEMAN said:
Difficult question, Pasi. :rolleyes: I like to teach, there's no doubt about that. But it's not the act of teach that makes me unhappy...

Starting with my boss, the Ministry of Education and the system behind that institution. :rolleyes: I guess you all know the problems I had from last September till December or so...

Then, the way the society looks to teachers. There's no respect any more. People take their children to the school as if the school was a container. How can someone work with this kids, try to motivate them to learn something if their own parents don't have any control over what they do outside the school? No one cares about anymore! :rant:

But that's not all... what work conditions do we have at school? During the winter we have to keep our coats on otherwise we will freeze. During the summer it's the oposite!!! :mad: The building, even recent buildings, are made of [email protected] And how many times have I waited for material that I needed in order to make some work with the kids and... there's no money to pay it!!! And how many times I ended paying from my own pocket!?! :mad: How ridiculous is to pay to work? Because that's what I end up doing... :rant:

Am I happy with my job? Fortunatly there are some moments that pay (a little bit) for all this troubles. :) But as soon I start to think about all this again... :mad:
I feel for you - in Japan, teachers are well paid, AND respected by students, parents, and society. I am an American, and spent a year in Canada as well - I can tell you, I would never go back to teach in North America unless I was independently wealthy and just wanted to do it as a hobby.

Teachers make less than managers at McDonalds, get no respect whatsoever from teachers, students or society, are overworked, never have enough resources for the classroom, and usually end up burning out within 5-7 years.

But here in Japan, I love what I do. I get to research what I want, teach what I want (usually about U.S. politics, global issues, and even Lord of the Rings), and make enough that I am supporting a family of 5 on one salary, travel internationally at least 1-2 times a year and am able to drive really nice cars.

Things aren't perfect here, but after 20 years of working my way up the ranks, I've become sort of an expert in several areas and truly feel like I am part of the solution (I write textbooks, consult for the Ministry of Education, do teacher training around the country, and am now making my own company for the on-line testing and learning of English). It is a challenging, busy life, but I wouldn't trade what I'm doing for anything. AND, having a GTA to get to and from work in, makes the busy schedule and getting up at 4:30AM each morning almost a joy!...

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are many things that western society could learn from the Japanese ... (and somethings Japanese could learn from the westerns ;) )

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
......very unhappy since being told I was no longer required about two weeks ago.:rant: :rant:

The job it-self is OK - ranges from very boring and frustrating to good (playing about with prototype cars - yesterday doing high speed testing - but thats very rare).

Anyway as my job will finish at the end of May, I'm looking for something to pay the bills now. At the moment it looks unlikely I'll find anything. :( :( :(

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back when I was in school, we didn't respect teatchers... only because the teatchers were unqualified, and most of the time didn't even know about the stuff they were teaching... they just read stuff to us from "teachers books" and the tests we had to make no matter what subject, were "fill in the missing word" type of tests :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The worst case was when a certain teacher was supposed to teach us C++ ... he just gave us a copy of a page from his book that had a description about what the program should do and some tips how to do it, and when we asked help from the teacher, he had no clue about what to do... and then one student asked directly from the teacher that can he himself write the program... the answer was no!!

My point is... how can you teach something you know nothing about :confused: :tut: :confused: :tut: :confused:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I am now in the police for 22 years and I have to say it is getting worse every year. :rant:
The criminal now has so many rights that it is virtually impossible to obtain a conviction unless he pleads guilty and the lack of resources and manpower is making the workload impossible. :rolleyes:
To me the problem is that management are unwilling to make any hard decisions in case it may affect their promotion. We recently got a new computer system which is an absolute disaster - designed to reduce paperwork it has actually doubled it - and is prone to breakdown on a daily basis. So the answer NO I am not happy in my job :(
Luckily I also have my own property business so at least I get satisfaction from that :D

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alfaguy said:
I think what Fraser means is that he is happy with his joOOob :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well up until February this year I had a great job working for a large Danish shipping company. I had worked there for seven years and my career was okay....

Then I thought to myself that I had reached thirty and not tried some of the things I would have liked to. I love cars as I am sure most of us do so the natural new career for me was within the industry one way or another. I managed to get a job in sales for Nissan (all that was going at the time) which turned into the most regretable thing in my life besides the pig, sorry, first wife.
I lasted a week, not because it wasn't what I expected or anythign like that. i was confident in my ability to perform and I did selling two cars in my first weekend but that was where the whole thing fell apart. I like to be a part of a team and the other execs were a bunch of nasty so and sos. i was never shown around the premises or introduced to anybody else in the dealership. Very unprofessional and bearing in mnd I had come from a job in customer service and nto sales there was little consideration given. So I left and consequently left myself jobless until I managed to get a temping job for Young's seafood in the packaging Development Dept. It's okay here but my heart lies back in shipping and I want out and back to what I know and do best.
People say that the grass isn't always greener but it wasn't about that. i had an ambition to realise whilst i was still young enough and sadly i fell flat on my face but at least I am young enough to rectify everything I hope!
I will think twice in future about fulfilling ambitions though unless it is driving a Maserati or owning a GTA.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Not liking this job at all, although it would be difficult to tell as I've been with the company for three years now. Its a logistics company and that kind of business just doesn't suit me. Pretty much because once I do my job here it gets handed over to someone else to complete and if they mess it up I'm the one who has to sort it out. It can be heartbreaking at time cos mostly the really important deliveries get stuffed up.
Must break free soon but the fear has me.

·
Registered
659 Posts
John Burns said:
Not liking this job at all, although it would be difficult to tell as I've been with the company for three years now. Its a logistics company and that kind of business just doesn't suit me. Pretty much because once I do my job here it gets handed over to someone else to complete and if they mess it up I'm the one who has to sort it out. It can be heartbreaking at time cos mostly the really important deliveries get stuffed up.
Must break free soon but the fear has me.
Such is life in logistics eh?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Student ... kind of ... Not in school now, couse waiting new school place ... and at the same time waiting that job will start :D

W

·
0 Posts
Used to enjoy mine but as with many other areas things are changing and not for the better.

Really want to go self employed (in the same kind of area/industry) but don't have the capital :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
eminence said:
I am a student who does nothing! :D

Simon
Yeh I remember that...................

Now I'm a manager of a small office of a global company.

Sometimes it's nice to be the one in charge but when the buck stops here it can be very unpleasant to say the least and of course the pressure.............................but shouldn't complain, I get sun nearly all year round :cool:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts