Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My front engine pan (hard plastic front panel underneath the engine:mad: ) was damaged from what I would call an illegally high speed bump.

It is still attached and but has just become loose so is now hanging down underneath towards the middle of the car. Is there a way of securing this back myself or should I just try and take to a dealer/garage to get it done (I assume this would be either free or £5).

I do not have access underneath the car so is quite difficult to get access to it but maybe able to if I jack it.

cheers

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Get yourself some black tie tags. That's what they all us once the holes are ripped out. Drill some more and tie it up.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I thought they were there to smooth airflow, protect the engine AND stop cr4p from getting into the belts?

PS - mine didn't have one when I got it.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
I took mine off and on the way back from the garage I cracked my sump on my first 156 :lol: It was in very bad nick with loads of cable ties holding it in place but when I got it fixed it went straight back on!!

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
I thought they were there to smooth airflow, protect the engine AND stop cr4p
They are. It's not a good idea to get rid of it.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Opposite to my thoughts there, it's rare to find one fitted nowadays.
That doesn't make it right. It is there for a (good) reason.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Most undertrays are there to enable the manufacturer to pass 'drive-by tests', which measure noise levels outside the car.

Even so I wouldn't run mine without one

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
That doesn't make it right. It is there for a (good) reason.
Quite right, a good reason though is ????? But they only hide oil leaks that you NEED to know about and add to labour costs, they also rarely come off in one piece as they crack up and the bolts sieze. I just don't like them but if you want one that is up to the job then there is an aluminium version on the market, damage that thugh and you will be p155ed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took it Humpries and they did it for free with some cable ties.
It was already quite damaged anyway so probably doesn't have long until it falls off. Funny actually as the Alfa Dealship wanted to charge me £30 just to look at it!

This also is related to a previous post I did regarding a noise when I go over speed bumps. Initially we thought it was the bushes but makes sense now that its the underpan (part of it was orginally hanging down).

Thanks for the replies

1 - 11 of 11 Posts