Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Quick question regarding the handbrake on a Giulietta. Do you find that you need to pull the handbrake right up in order for it to be effective?

I ask as when I'm on a slope and pull mine up say 60% of the way, the car can tend to creep forwards/backwards a little (obviously depending on the slope).

As mine is under warranty I'm going to take her into the dealership, but just wanted to understand if this is a wider/known issue?

Cheers,
GH

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean by "60%"?

I can pull the handbrake no more then 3 clicks...
Sorry - that was a pretty rubbish description and even thought that as I was writing it! (first day back at work - so feeling pretty crappy + tired)

Mine is 3 clicks maximum too - so I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes the car doesn't hold firm unless I pull the handbrake right up to the third click. Is that normal?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Erm...doesn't how far you have to pull up the handbrake depends on the angle of slope :) Normal use for me is 2 or 3 clicks (probably - I don't drag mine through the "clicks", preferring to use the button to avoid that noise/wear), but on my parents very steep runway (about 1:4 I think), it's considerably more.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Biggest problem surely is that the handbrake on the wrong side. Mechanical advantage wise, I'm sure the passenger could operate it a lot easier.

I had exactly the same issue with my previous car. The handbrake was better suited to the passenger (it was a Fiat of course)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Russ + Tirreni - Good points + thank you. With it being a new car (to me) maybe I've been over-thinking it.

Argo - I think a lot of people have raised that issue - and this extends to some not being able to use the arm rest, due to the handbrake position. I don't mind it personally, but do get why it could be annoying!

I'm gutted to be back at work - I would much rather be taking the precious on a long drive somewhere...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Relax George, relax..! I think just like me you're getting used to your new purchase and sometimes the way certain features operate in different marques can make us a bit twitchy or even unsure of what we've bought..... I spent a good hour or so yesterday sat in my shiny newly arrived G just taking it all in, trying everything out - fiddling with the slatted air vents in the dashboard I thought I'd been sold a pup as they didn't seem to be moving the way I thought they should, I actually thought they were all broken by the previous owner. Turned out I wasn't doing it properly so, mind at rest, I breathed a sigh of relief and played about with it some more! Playing around with the handbrake in mine, I find it just about right, I'm sure you will too at some point ;)

I think AR left one vitally important bit of advise out of the G's owner's handbook though : ''...and finally, don't forget to breath!"

:)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Biggest problem surely is that the handbrake on the wrong side. Mechanical advantage wise, I'm sure the passenger could operate it a lot easier.

I had exactly the same issue with my previous car. The handbrake was better suited to the passenger (it was a Fiat of course)
Yes, the handbrake is still in the LHD position, but then in all the FIATs and Alfas I have had that has been the case. I assume (dangerous I know) that it's left like that to save the cost of reengineering the centre tunnel console thingy and very probably the cable runs under the car.

Mind you I do have to tuck my wife's coat tightly under her to maintain clear access to the handbrake! :lol:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yep My drive is probably only a 15 degrees slope and If its pulled to 2 clicks and I get back in the car in the morning my weight can override the handbrake and has started to roll off the drive. We need to do the 3 clicks even if my partner struggles to release it at that height and needs to use 2 hands lol

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I always put the car in park, so really don't understand what this is all about ;)

Anyway, I work for a mitsu and hyundai dealer, and with the mitsubishi's the handbrake lever is also on the wrong side, being designed as RHD but converted to LHD for sales on the continent.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I always put the car in park, so really don't understand what this is all about ;)
I completely understand the appeal and benefits of an automatic. But I don't think I would ever go for one. Don't you miss the driving experience of a manual?

Anyway, I work for a mitsu and hyundai dealer, and with the mitsubishi's the handbrake lever is also on the wrong side, being designed as RHD but converted to LHD for sales on the continent.
Do you find this actually puts people off buying cars? It had no bearing on my decision to purchase my G...

·
Registered
363 Posts
But what is the "correct" side for the handbrake? My 1965 MG Midget, Britsh born and bred, had the handbrake between the transmission tunnel and the passenger seat. I can't use the excuse that was because it was designed to have the steering wheel on the wrong side. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I completely understand the appeal and benefits of an automatic. But I don't think I would ever go for one. Don't you miss the driving experience of a manual?

Do you find this actually puts people off buying cars? It had no bearing on my decision to purchase my G...

I drive manuals on a daily basis. no, don't miss it at all. I do miss my tct sometimes though.

I wouldn't know if it puts people off buying, I'm not in sales. But if you're looking at buying a mitsu or (even worse) a Hyundai you're not really into cars anyway.

R

·
0 Posts
I sometimes get a different feel from the handbrake but not very often?? Could it be to do with pre-fill thingamabob?

·
Registered
117 Posts
One of my previous cars , a 1969 Hillman Minx' had the handbrake on the right of the drivers seat on the floor between the seat and the drivers door :confused:. Ideal place to 'kick it off' as you got out.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
One of my previous cars , a 1969 Hillman Minx' had the handbrake on the right of the drivers seat on the floor between the seat and the drivers door :confused:. Ideal place to 'kick it off' as you got out.
'63 A60 Austin Cambridge was the same although I never recall any problem with kicking it off perhaps because it was beside the seat and the drivers feet were in front of the seat.

My Father taught me to drive on this car and after I had passed my test someone asked him how he would have stopped the car in an emergency as he could not reach the handbrake. His reply, I believe, was "turn the ignition off". The key operated switch was in the centre of the dash not on the steering column.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts