Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for some reason when i accelarate in my spider relatively hard, the hand brake light flickers on, i imagine this is nothing but maybe loose wire or something, has anyone every had this happen on any car, obviously the hand brake is off when i'm moving.

·
Administrator
45,315 Posts
Handbrake warning light is also the 'low brake fluid' light. I would be checking your fluid level pretty soon if I were you.
The reason why it flickers under acceleration is the same as the reason why your petrol guage changes on hills, the sensor is being uncovered as the fluid moves towards the back of the reservoir. This means it's probably not very low, but the question is, why has it become low? Might have a leak.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I agree with Bazza, check the fluid level first. However, if it isn't that I'd imagine its either a lose connection, or possibly a slightly sticky brake.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sticking brakes will have nothing to do with it. The pads may be wearing slightly or you've lost some fluid somewhere...perhaps the slave cylinder.

Check for fluid on top of the gearbox, if not then don't worry too much but get the brake pads checked.

wrinx

·
Registered
37,519 Posts
I have had a similar issue on one of my cars. It was the low pad warning light though and was caused by the wire wearing through on the edge of the brake disc, and it was making the light flicker.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If its only on acceleration, I would guess brake fluid level. If it happens also when not accelerating, I would guess of the brake pad sensor cables has broken and is shorting to the car's body.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts