Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
When accelerating quite hard in my Spider 916 2002 2.0 t.spark the handbrake light flashes on and off.
It seems to occur more when the engine is cool but it never goes away.
Any thoughts?
Andy

·
Registered
542 Posts
Had this problem with one of my previous cars, handbrake cables return springs on the disc/drum broken or come adrift? Does the handbrake feel alittle loose? at the bottom of travel - eg. when off?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Check the connection on brake fluid reservoir. I had this pushed plug connector in properly problem solved

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If the brake fluid is low, two further checks to do as the brake fluid will have had to have gone somewhere -

1) check pad wear. They may all be wearing evenly and there's no problem but equally, some pads may be near end of life. Apart from the safety aspect, it's a lot cheaper to replace the pads now than the pads AND scored discs later.

2) check the clutch slave cylinder on top of the gearbox housing. If there's brake fluid there, the slave is about to fail. Better get it replaced while it's still working rather than suffer a breakdown.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Are you sure thats the handbrake light and not the brake wear indicator? If the plug isnt wired into brake pads and it touches the metal body when you accelerate then it will come on as its designed to activate when earthed (Ive had this problem)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had it, was slightly low brake fluid caused by slight leak on clutch slave. Took about 6 months to work out as there was no obvious problem & brake fluid was above minimum. Only realised when the clutch pedal felt a bit loose near the top.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had this same problem with handbrake light coming on. It was caused by a leaking clutch slave leading to low brake fluid levels, hence warning

1 - 10 of 10 Posts