Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

My handbrake doesnt work and need to get it sorted as MOT time will be on me before i know it!

The car has discs at the rear, but im not sure whether the are dunlop or ATE.. So first off, how do i tell?

I have checked handbrake its self, replaced ratched and all seems ok.

Underneath, the main cable was hanging down and the (what i assume) adjusting mechanism wasnt screwed in to the bracket. Screwed this back in which made no difference.
Pulling the handbrake does give some movement on the cable and linkage, but there is litterally no resistance to it at all.

The next thing i am unsure about, is the 2 rods that come out of the linkage on the diff. These arent cables, they are like think metal rods (which i cant see listed on the internet anywhere).
One of them is a bit bent, but neither seem to have much affect on the brake!

Can anyone offer any pointers on what my problem is or where to start?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Kev

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
handbrake adjustment is made at the wheels...there is a star (cogged) wheel you turn that expands the brake shoes inside the rear discs....what looks like an adjuster on the handbrake cable is really just a damper and won't take up excessive play in the cables.(Edit: it will take up play in the cable, but not excessive play at the shoes, is what I meant to say!)

Odd with the rod set up though? photos?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no forgot to take some when i was under there, but will try and take some tonight..

I dont think adjusting the shoes will do it.. as theres nothing happening at all!

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
nothing happening at all sounds like a bust cable, but you have obviously checked that...or something not right with the lever assy on the rear axle.
Take a photo of the h/brake connections on the rear axle...be interested to see just how those are set up with rods instead of cables...

Correct way to adjust the h/brake is:
Car on jackstands, under suspension so wheels are not hanging, rear wheels removed.
Handbrake fully off.
Adjust dampener under the car-loosen locknut and turn so there is slack in the cable.
Adjust the star wheel cogs on each rear wheel with a flathead screwdriver (done through the hole in the rear hub assy), so that pads make contact with drum, then back off 1 click.
Adjust dampener under the car to take up any slack in the cable.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here are some pics. Sorry about the quality.. hopefully you can make out from them...

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
well, I must say I have never seen rods like that on the h/brake system, but otherwise I can't really see what is wrong as they ought to do the same job as the cables....however odd the set up is.

Do you actually feel any resistance when you pull on the h/brake?
Have you had someone pull the h/brake whilst you observed if the 2 levers on the r/axle are actually moving?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I must say I have never seen rods like that on the h/brake system, but otherwise I can't really see what is wrong as they ought to do the same job as the cables....however odd the set up is.

Do you actually feel any resistance when you pull on the h/brake?
Have you had someone pull the h/brake whilst you observed if the 2 levers on the r/axle are actually moving?
Theres no resistance on the handbrake what so ever.
Having someone pull the handbrake does make the levers move a little ( not much ). And i think one side moves more than the other..

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
well if the levers move at all, then at least that points to the cable itself is OK!
It can be that the cable is so stretched that no adjustment will help you, in which case a new cable would help.
But it is v. rare for it to stretch so much that the h/brake lever has zero resistance....something else is wrong there.

If it were mine I would now just try adjusting the star wheels.....adjust them in till the pads contact the drum then back off one click (as mentioned above)...that at least gives you a starting point, then work backwards to the handbrake lever.

A common failure is the levers on the r/axle to freeze up (corrosion).......it is important they not only move when you pull the brake, but return when you let the h/brake off....they might have frozen "brakes on" (hence why someone undid that cable you found hanging loose under the car) and then the same "someone" might have also backed off the star wheels till the wheels turned freely??...all conjecture, but all possible!

Have you ever had a working handbrake on this junior, would be my next question?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok will start with the adjusting on the wheels.
No its never been working.. But then, iv only had it a month or so! :lol:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Those don't look like rods to me, they look like the side cables. They're the wrong side of the anti roll bar drop link, they should run between it and the axle. Get them to run correctly then adjust the main cable up so they're tighter than they are now.

But do the thing with the adjusters inside the drums first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts