Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Over the last week I have noticed the handbrake feeling really light on the fist few clicks.

Pulling off has also required a lot of gas so I concluded from that the handbrake was sticking on.

Jacked up car at the back, both sides, handbrake on, handbrake off, left side rear wheel turns easily, right hand wheel takes a lot of force just to get it to rotate a little, whether the handbrake is on or not.

So there is a problem with the right hand handbrake cable? Does this need to be replaced of can I just lube up the area where it is sticking.

I have taken some photos of the handbrake cable on the right from the caliper to where it joins the front cable.

Does anyone know where it would be getting stuck? There is also a hell of a smell from the right wheel, I'm guessing this from the brakes and a result of me driving with essentially the handbrake on.

Any advice would be great before I get it down to Mark at Northants.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
More likely to be the sliding caliper stuck because the handbrake looks released in that last pic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my gf to pull the handbrake up and down while I was looking underneath, (don't worry she wasn't sat in the car, I know I only had it jacked up, couldn't find the axle stands). When the handbrake was pulled up the left hand cable attached to the caliper moved, the right didn't budge at all. I was hoping I would just be able to WD40 or grease up the area that was getting stuck, pull the handbrake up and down a little, and that would work, problem is I'm not sure which bit is getting stuck.

Would this work?

I don't really want to drive it to the garage as its a way away and it smelt really bad after driving with it on for 10 mins.

I can check the pads and whack some copper-grease on the feet if they are stiff but I don't think that would be the problem as breaking if fine, its just use of the handbrake that's causing issues.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
if you going to drive your car cut the cable at caliper but this is not advised to be honest ..dont drive car with seized handbrake for both obvious reasons mind

L

·
0 Posts
More likely to be the sliding caliper stuck because the handbrake looks released in that last pic.
no it not, its at least 1/3 ON, the steel cable will be rusted inside the outer casing. replacing BOTH cables is the best solution

·
Registered
149 Posts
I decided the right handbrake cable was the problem and replaced it using this guide:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/199075-156-handbrake-cable-replacement.html
Had the same problem.
If the burnt smell from the rear wheel is present it's an overheated disc,pads and probably the brake caliper rubber boots are done.:cry:
Worst case scenario you'll need refurbished brake calipers,new discs,pads,handbrake cables.
I did.:cry:
however it was a great opportunity to buy Brembo Max grooved discs and EBC green stuff.:)
remember to change the handbrake cables every two years or else!!!!:(
William Lütken

https://sites.google.com/site/alfaromeo156brakesrear/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts