Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started her up this morning, warmed her up for a few moments and then set off (her being a 2000 156. Handbrake had frozen, especially the left rear. Has happened before in the snow before Christmas but normally came right after a mile or 2. This morning my abs warning light came on after no more than 30 yards. Kept going (20 miles an hour) but it was still sticking. Pulled over after a couple miles only to be greeted by the smell of burning breaks from the left rear. Let it cool down and then carried on. Breaks seemed to come right but abs warning light still on. Was -9 by us last night and currently -2 just after lunch. Seen some other threads suggesting not parking in freezing temps with the handbreak on so have parked her at work with the handbreak off. Went to see her a few moments ago, started up but abs light still on. :confused:Is this anything i should worry about?

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
It will clear itself.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Happened to me few times in this cold weather. mine has always reset after a few starts,but you will have to drive for the ecu to see there is nothing wrong.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As David C says, it will clear.

Might be worth leaving it with the handbrake off (but in gear), if it's on the flat and safe to do so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response so far. I have left her in first and with the handbreak off all morning. Went to check at lunch time but warning light was still on when started. As Alid1 mentioned, I'm hopeful that a few starts and some driving will sort it out. Weathers not getting warmer though!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for the response so far. I have left her in first and with the handbreak off all morning. Went to check at lunch time but warning light was still on when started. As Alid1 mentioned, I'm hopeful that a few starts and some driving will sort it out. Weathers not getting warmer though!
Hope it gets sorted, Btw The ABS fault will not clear until you drive the car

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had this same thing with mine, the rear brake freezing on and the ABS light has come on this morning.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
filipharvey (in multiple threads) said:
The ECU picks up out of range readings due to excessive slip. Chances are it will sort itself out over the next couple of trips.
Quite a few threads on this now. Maybe the search function should be used more often? :p

Mergey mergey!

See here and here.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Try to convince yourself that hanbrake turns are not necessary. Mine ABS keeps coming on after one :) Usually resets after engine restart. Try to park the car in direct sunshine to defrost.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had this handbrake problem with my 147. To be honest, I'm shocked that it hasn't resulted in a recall.

The consquences of the handbrake being frozen on while driving on a slippery road could be catastrophic. As I understand it, it's due to splitting of the insulation around the cable?

It's clearly a saftey issue..how come nothing has been done?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I have had this handbrake problem with my 147. To be honest, I'm shocked that it hasn't resulted in a recall.

The consquences of the handbrake being frozen on while driving on a slippery road could be catastrophic. As I understand it, it's due to splitting of the insulation around the cable?

It's clearly a saftey issue..how come nothing has been done?
its not just alfa having this issue, its very rarely cold enough in this country for them to stick.

for some stupid reason i left the handbrake on last nite, not done in the last few weeks, "what an ar$e", so i used hot water mixed with salt, poured it on, rocked it back and forward a few times and it was free. drove down the road and the abs light came on, so wasnt completly free, engine on and off, fine and dandy. its not hard to deal with, just a bit of common sence required is all;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had this prob last year, turned out h/brake cable sleeve (left) had split, later on in summer the cable had to be replaced, it had rusted and locked (off position) so h/brake only worked on right.....

·
Registered
602 Posts
Same thing happened tomy 166 this morning around 11.00 am. Handbrake frozen, few buckets of warm water loosened them up only for the ABS and ASR waring lights to come on. Parked it in the sun for a while and started up with lights still on....half a mile down the road it sorted its self. Should be ok.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's not a major problem in that it sorts it self out.

What concerns me, is that I live only a couple of hundred meters from a motorway slip road. It's very possible that if it happened after I pulled out of the drive one morning, the first time I would notice the handbrake was stuck on would be changing lines at 70mph from sliproad to lane one, when I found myself pointing down the motorway the wrong way...not fun.

Fortunately I'm wise to it and always park in gear with the handbrake off, but you could easily have an awfully big accident from this fault.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It isn't a fault; as someone else said it is simply a result of weather that we haven't experienced for some years, so is more a function of our own lack of preparedness than anything else.

Yes, it is exacerbated by split sleeving, but that would be visible so I would expect it to be picked up on service and/or MOT (where the latter is applicable).

Again - as said before - a little common sense is all that it takes to leave the car in a safe place with the brake off and in gear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all. Handbreak off, parked in first, and warmer weather resulted in the light going off after a drive. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
Remember to still leave it parked in 1st gear even when you do use the handbrake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts