Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Every morning that it is really cold i go to drive away only to find my handbrake is frozen stuck. I have disengaged the lever but the actual cable hasn't released.

Any ideas on what I can do to prevent this from happening as at the moment i am having to leave the handbrake off and put it in gear. Only problem with that is I keep forgetting and when I start the car in the morning I suddenly jolt forward, wakes me up though :lol:

Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have exactly the same problem - i think that it must be water somewhere in the shroud for the cable. If I leave the engine running for around ten mins it does thaw out. Interesting to note that if you leave the handbrake off overnight then the brakes are okay of course, but the lever still frozen solid at the bottom position - so can only be a cable problem. I have taken to parking in gear with handbrake off if the temp looks like falling anywhere near zero

·
Registered
673 Posts
There's plenty of discussion on this topic. Seems like a typical Alfa problem; built for warm clear roads, not snow and ice.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
only two options, leave in gear or fit new cables.

other cars must have the same problem, whcih is to do with the cable being arced under the caliper, so water runs down into the cable. On my old Saab 9000 they were arced down, so water ran away and dropped off the cable end. IIRC the brakes are ATE or Bendix, a proper brake manufacturer.

At least the new cables are cheap enough and an easy DIY fix.

·
Registered
102 Posts
yeah just leave it off i spotted this with other owners when i first got mine thankfully never had the same problem..
but to mention i neverthought about it getting frozen "off" now makes me think were a few quid went on handbrake mot fails!! haha
guess i may have set off and pulled the leaver on at the first set of lights??!? duh? possible??

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
does not get frozen off as yanking the cable up breaks the ice, whereas releasing the handbrake relies on a just two springs o release the cable, which the ice can defeat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I get the same problem with my Mondeo, so I leave the handbrake off.The handbrake on my Alfa has always been "crude" & needs quite a bit of effort to use,it gives the impression that it has been badly designed/ engineered, but it always passes the MOT.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
If you get new cables then fill them with WHITE grease (not normal grease as it will attack the rubber seals). If any water does get in then it will stop the ice welding the cable to the inside of the sleeving. This is what I've done with mine and I've never had any problems with a frozen handbrake (touch wood :D).

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
If you get new cables then fill them with WHITE grease (not normal grease as it will attack the rubber seals). If any water does get in then it will stop the ice welding the cable to the inside of the sleeving. This is what I've done with mine and I've never had any problems with a frozen handbrake (touch wood :D).
just wait til you wake up tomorrow now:lol:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
x2, worked for me.
More fun than changing handbrake cables on your back in this weather....

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
+3. Pack the end of the cables with grease... the cables point slightly "downhill" from the calipers, so any water getting in ends up at the bow in the cable, where it passes under the suspension trailing arm.

Before you do the greasing, disconnect the cables and leave the loose ends on the ground so that the water can drain out. Warming them up with a hairdryer can sort it too.. depends how eccentric you want to appear in fron of the neighbours! :D

The cable itself has a plastic sheath on it, so it doesn't rust.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes a great tip thx :)

It is something I will have to get done in preparation for next year.

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts