Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the useless garage take my car back in to complete the job they started last week.....

Could I ask you helpful people for comments on the handbrake "feel" and no. of clicks until it holds?

When I lift the handbrake lever now, it is "floppy" for want of a better word until it is more than an inch raised before it appears to be actually pulling the cable.

Surely this is wrong?

T.Spark feels as though it is pulling as soon as you lift the lever.

Also - how many clicks to hold on a slope?

Many thanks in advance! :thumbs:

·
Registered
279 Posts
It sounds like your handbrake cable is not returning properly which is causing the slack feeling. The springs on the caliper are quite poweful and you should feel their effect at all times as you pull the h/b lever. You may need to replace the cables. In terms of how many clicks I would say no more than 3-5 as the centre arm rest gets in the way of pulling any further.

·
Registered
741 Posts
will count tonight, but think 4-5 does me fine. Tension from the first lift.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it does sound like it has not been set up correctly, any normal handbrake should have resistance as soon as you start to pull it up

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your comments :)

This is as I had suspected - to recap from a previous thread, I had the handbrake cables replaced for the mot (amongst other things) and when I collected the car, it was as described above. After making a fuss, the garage are collecting the car tomorrow to finish what they started including setting the handbrake correctly I hope!

I did ask for a copy of brake test as I can't see how this would have passed the mot test but apparently they do not have a printout - think they are pulling the wool again!

Anyway - will see if they can do a proper job or not this time.

If they can't I will name and shame!

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Don't forget that MOT stations are closely regulated and computer connected now, so report to VOSA if you suspect they are not playing the game.
My regular place been using for 10 years with 3-4 cars we own (so know them really well) is paranoid about random checks, so is on the button with everything. As soon as a car is "logged on" for MOT test, inspectors often drive by to ensure it is not a "ghost/postal MOT".

btw my handbrake has only 3-4 clicks, and holds on 2. Not sure if it is a bit "tight" but does not seem to bind.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is an excellent point and I will indeed be reporting them if need be.

It is a pity there is no actual document to prove brake testing...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts