Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few old threads on here about this, but no conclusive answer. Does anyone know how to smarten up the peeling chrome on the handbrake button?
Anyone sourced a replacement one, or know how to do it?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Been searching online for some sort of self tapping chrome, or aluminium end cap. Can't seem to find anything suitable though. someone somewhere must be making these

·
Registered
735 Posts
According to this thread you could just cut the lever grip off. You could then order the chrome button and lever grip from Alfa - think the lever grip is only a couple of quid :thumbs:

What I don't understand is how the lever grip comes off once the handbrake lever is removed? Surely it's still got to come off frontwards? So why remove the lever completely?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Apparently replacing the button is a pig of a job. Hand brake out and strip.
Another one of those little forum myths - at least as far as the phase 1 is concerned ( I don't know about phase 2/3 ). The chrome part is just a cap over another plastic part and will come off with a bit of brute force.

How do I know? This is mine -

Attachments

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
No need to glue, the part just pushes on. If you look at the inside in the photo you'll see ridges that engage with the plastic left on the handbrake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just doing this for my 2003 156 2.4Jtd SW.

I bought a cheap old 156 handbrake lever from eBay.

Had to cut the rubber grip off to get at the silver plastic button.
Silver button slid off pretty easily.
(You might be able to do this without cutting the rubber grip, I was just being impatient!)

Mine is more of a rectangle/oval shape then the one in the picture above.

Now just need to hack the old button off my car and pop the new one in.

·
Registered
215 Posts
There is one on eBay.£18 from italy.!
Ok I'll admit it I brought one for £18 :eek: but the one on the car was in a state and annoying the hell out of me.

Took a few weeks to arrive from Italy but as PKR mentioned on a P1 its just a case of pulling the old one off and replacing with the new one.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Are they the genuine standard chrome buttons and new if so yep I'll have one please
Yep, the lot came in a ricambi originali bag from an alfa dealer...fecked up the order on me.

0060651478 is the part number, only thing is I only have one bag, but 4 buttons

1 - 20 of 21 Posts