Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at good quality hand held scanners and diagnostic hand helds for the Alfa Romeo range with a OBD2 & EOBD interface 16 Pin connection.

Any recomendations for hand held units for a 2005/55 Diesel 156.

I am aware of Alfdiag etc, but do not have the paitence for it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Checkout the adds in the back of Car Mechanics magazine. There are plenty of device's out there at reasonable prices..... from £100 to many £100's. I intend to get something when the wife isn't looking!! As for alfadiag, well I have no idea, am wondering how much space it will take up on my laptop. By the way, Sealey produce some good fault code readers as do Draper.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I bought an OBD II fault code reader from 'Talk to my Car' for £65. It's made in China and just about works, but I wouldn't recommend it. As Leitrim says, aim above £100.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Checkout the adds in the back of Car Mechanics magazine. There are plenty of device's out there at reasonable prices..... from £100 to many £100's. I intend to get something when the wife isn't looking!! As for alfadiag, well I have no idea, am wondering how much space it will take up on my laptop. By the way, Sealey produce some good fault code readers as do Draper.
5megs, max.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After serious investigation, bought a Autel MS509 Maxiscan Professional. £120.00 Delivered.

Seems the MS509 has a some very good reviews with Alfa 156 and 147 JTD's and Multijets. Can be used with other makes as well, as long as its not a VAG car, there is a separate one for them.

I let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
why all the hassle with handheld scanners ? Alfadiag and the proper cable will cost you 95 euro and can do almost everything and not only giving error codes !!! the Selespeed part of AD alone is worth the money !

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why all the hassle with handheld scanners ? Alfadiag and the proper cable will cost you 95 euro and can do almost everything and not only giving error codes !!! the Selespeed part of AD alone is worth the money !
The scanner that I have purchased far more than you think..then some!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does it do airbags????
No. But the next model up does Airbags, Service Indicator Reset, EBD, ABS, ASC fine tuning.

The MS509 is brief allows you to id faults, reset faults, live power graphing, Turn on/off the MCF light etc etc.

The live graphing feature is something I look forward to, either monitoring the cars voltage, Power, Emissions, etc etc.

Visit Autel for further info. Lots of Indies have Autel Tools including my independent that I use, alond with an Examiner 2, which is far to expensive to buy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts