Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this @ ao.com too.

Subject is pretty self-explanatory. If I accelerate hard from a standing start, while the car is really pulling, the hand-brake light comes on pretty much all the time. It will go off again once the rate of acceleration slows down but should I be worried about this, and does it/has it happened to anyone else ?

It sometimes happens in 2nd gear if I give it real welly but mostly happens in 1st.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
This probably means one of two things;

1) Your brake fluid resevoir needs topping up. The hand brake light also indicates low fluid you see....

or 2) Your car is so fast at accelerating that all of the brake fluid is being held against the back of the resevoir.

Think to yourself that it's no.2, but sort no.1 out!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lubbly jubbly. Easy peasy. Thanks Rich :)

I had a feeling #2 was the problem :p

W

·
0 Posts
Aaargh, the light is coming on to tell you the pads are worn (due to fluid entering the pipes to compensate for the extra movement). If you top it up how will you know when they get really thin?

Check your pads, if you do top up, check them regularly :D

wrinx

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh bugger, cheers for making it more complicated Wrinx :p Nah, seriously thanx for that !!

I'll have her up on the jack now this evening, weather permitting, and take a gander at the brake pads.

I think I'd prefer the brake pads to need replacing than having to top up the fluid, because if fluid is low then there must be a leak !!

M

·
0 Posts
Not necessarily a leak B. As Wrinx says, the fluid level will go down as the pistons on the calipers move "out" to compensate for thinning pads. If you top up the level and then change very worn pads, you will find that you need to remove some of the fluid as you push the pistons back.

Good luck and I'm sure you will cure this easily.

Marlon

S

·
0 Posts
Now this will sound odd but this experience happened to me a few months back. I had noticed a few posts like this before so I thought it was either my pads or the reservoir that was the problem, even perhaps something to do with the clutch.

I checked the fluid level and it was fine. It steadily got worse and worse, to the extent that the light would come on even mildly accelerating up a steep hill.

Anyway, I took the car into the shop to have the pads checked - the result? "Plenty of life left in them." Anyway, a couple of weeks later it went in for a basic service, i.e. an oil change, and ever since then the light has stayed off!

Dunno why but I'm pleased its gone...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts