Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They've sent my Giulietta to Halfords for it's first service.

Should I be worried?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
If you have the 1.4T multiair then definately check the oil spec. It must be 5W-40 ACEA C3. The quote below is taken from the handbook. Given Halfords are not a main dealer this will be Alfa's excuse to refuse warranty work on the engine if needed.

For petrol engines with Multi Air system, use of lubricants with features lower than ACEA C3 and SAE grade other than 5W-40 could cause engine damage which is not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Who exactly are "they" and why do they decide where your car is serviced?
I had use of a company cars that were serviced by them before they were taken over by Halfords and they were absolutely useless. They put too much oil in one car that somehow blew it up within 40 miles and the other car was less likely to be over-filled as most of the oil appeared to be on the passenger door trim.

Good luck.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who exactly are "they" and why do they decide where your car is serviced?
I had use of a company cars that were serviced by them before they were taken over by Halfords and they were absolutely useless. They put too much oil in one car that somehow blew it up within 40 miles and the other car was less likely to be over-filled as most of the oil appeared to be on the passenger door trim.

Good luck.
"They" are Leaseplan, it's a company car. My last car was a focus that was usually serviced at a ford dealer but some genius decided service centres were the way to go and the last service t got was at a bosch service centre. It went back twice to get the electronics fixed because whatever they had done they had f****ed them. At that point the lease was up and I got my new car. I'm hoping I don't have a similar experience with Halfords because I still have 2+ years left on the lease of this one.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Came back, seems ok in that there's nothing obvious wrong but I told them there was an error message about the brake lights and one of them wasn't working and they say it will have to go to a main dealer for that. So what was the point in sending it to Halfords?? They've also ticked every tick box including the one that says "Wash and Vac" and they have neither washed nor vacced it which makes me wonder what else they haven't done. On the tyres they said they checked them and the 2 rear tyres have 7mm tread left and the front 2 have 8 mm tread left. Both front tyres and one of the rear tyres were replaced a week ago and the other has 21,000 miles wear on it so how can it have 7mm tread left when a brand new one also has 7mm left. I think I need to flag these up to teh lease company.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Halfords for a service? I wouldn't want a 14yr old on work experience servicing my car.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Fiat 9.55535-S2
Qualification for Diesel and gasoline engine, with exhaust treatment system, lubricants, with extended drain. OEM recommended product also meets: ACEA C3-04, MB 229.51 and API: SM/CF.

I use a MB229.51 approved oil (castrol edge 5w-40)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
To return to the OP's original question.

Given that it is a company car then any problems caused by using, say, the wrong oil for the service will be a matter to be resolved between Leaseplan and Halfords. As a company car driver the OP is merely a bystander and has no financial interest in the outcome. Under the terms of the lease, should the car be off the road for anything more than a couple of days Leaseplan have an obligation to supply a short term hire car until it is repaired. If it is deemed unecconomic to repair then a replacement car must be supplied.

Cynical, I know, but the fact is, with a leased company car, he, and his employer, should be able to call all the shots without any financial comeback. Hence he only has to worry about the inconvenience of getting it sorted which is much less than those of us who own our own cars have to worry about.

I write from experience having had, before I retired, company cars for nearly thirty years and then had the wrong oil supplied by a main dealer into my personally owned Giulietta:mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts