Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have some vouchers I can use in Halfords and would like to know what stuff I should purchase to sort out swirly red paint.
I'm borrowing a mates DA polisher so think some Ultimate compound will be a start. They dont do the #205 that is apparently recommended next so i'll bite the bullet for that but what about final polishing/sealing/waxing etc? is there anything there you'd buy/recommend? Has to be stuff in store too.
I normally use autoglym products and have some SRP and deep shine polish too, are these ok to put on after 205 or would you suggest something else i can get from Halfords?

Cheers
Martyn

·
Registered
84 Posts
Guys,

I have some vouchers I can use in Halfords and would like to know what stuff I should purchase to sort out swirly red paint.
I'm borrowing a mates DA polisher so think some Ultimate compound will be a start. They dont do the #205 that is apparently recommended next so i'll bite the bullet for that but what about final polishing/sealing/waxing etc? is there anything there you'd buy/recommend? Has to be stuff in store too.
I normally use autoglym products and have some SRP and deep shine polish too, are these ok to put on after 205 or would you suggest something else i can get from Halfords?

Cheers
Martyn
Using your autoglym SRP will be perfect for removing swirl marks and surface oxidation combined with the DA polisher, but you need a final top coat of wax to protect your newly finished surface looking at the range halfords sell I would opt for depending on your budget either the turtle wax hard wax or the G3 Farecla G3 Super Gloss Paste Wax 200g

Regards

·
Registered
988 Posts
Ultimate Polish is the consumer version of 205 although I have not tried it. 205 is a great product but if you want to get most stuff from Halfords then try the UP. Nothing wrong with SRP and can be followed by something like Extra Gloss Protection or indeed most other waxes.

I would use clay and tar remover before polishing and when it comes to polishing, always do a test section first with the least abrasive products first - no need to remove more paint than necessary. Polishing is not a quick process, it can easily take a day and my suggestion is don't aim for perfection unless you have a show car

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So bought some goodies. Started with them today and will pop up some pics tomorrow. First time I've done some proper detailing but this is how it's going to go
Power wash rinse
Snow foam
Rinse off
Hand wash
Chamois dry (halfords autoglym purchase)
Clay bar (meguiers clay detailing kit from halfords)
Machine polish (meguiers ultimate compound from halfords). Frog taped up with roll found in garage.
Wax (meguiers tech 2.0 from halfords)
Might wax again in a few days for extra coating.

Any other tips after wax other than keep on top?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts