Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my first test drive today in the MiTo 155bhp Veloce, and was well impressed, the pictures don't do the MiTo justice, she looks really sporty and aggressive in the flesh. I am currently trying to decide between the MiTo 120bhp or a new Seat Ibiza 1.9TDi SC Sport 105bhp, I will be going for a test drive in the new Ibiza tomorrow but it certainly has a lot to live up to after I tried the MiTo, albeit the 155bhp one.

As stated above it looks really sporty, and changing from Normal to Dynamic certainly reinforces that opinion, it felt a tad sluggish in Normal mode but when changed to Dynamic it took off like a bat out of hell! My only worry would be fuel economy in the Dyanamic mode.
I'd be interested in what people have to say on the All Weather option, does it make a difference?

Using the configurator on the website I am swithering between a 1.4 120bhp Veloce or Lusso the builds are below:

1.4 TB 120bhp Veloce - Alfa Red, Black dash & cloth 17" wheels = £14,386
1.4 TB 120bhp Lusso - Alfa Red, black dash & cloth 16" wheels, rear spoiler = £13,595
1.6 JTDM 120bhp Lusso - Alfa Red, black dash & cloth 16" wheels = £14,595

Compared to

1.9 TDi Seat Ibiza SC Sport, Ruby Red, 17" Wheels - £12,402

I threw the MiTo diesel in there as I would ideally like a diesel but it's quite expensive in the MiTo, certainly compared to the Ibiza. I much prefer the interior of the Veloce to the Lusso, the seats are really nice, especially with the little alfa logo stitched in. If it wasn't for this I'd definitely be going for a Lusso.

One thing I don't agree with is the fact that it only comes in black and every other colour is an extra £300 at least, it should definitely heve more standard colours at no extra cost.

I will be using my old Seat Ibiza with the scrappage scheme plus my deposit which would mean I'd prob be looking at financing £10,000 (£200 p/m) whereas with the Ibiza I'd be financing £8,000 (£160 p/m) Insurance wise it's pretty good and I'd be looking at £290 per annum which I am chuffed at.

So I guess I will know more after tomorrow when I test drive the new Ibiza, which I do like the look of, but it's just not as sporty as the MiTo but £2,000 saving over my preferred option of MiTo is a lot of money.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I got the 155 Lusso a month ago and I can't fault it, it's a fantastic little car. I've only previously driven a 2007 Ford Fiesta, and the Mito is far superior, I also like the idea of driving a rare car.
I also considered the Seat Ibiza along with the brand-new Fiesta, the Golf and Grande Punto, but ended up choosing the Mito. The extra two grand was worth it IMO.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I considered the Leon FR, Clio 197, Grande Punto Abarth, Corsa VXR and Mini Cooper S along with the MiTo 155 Veloce when i was looking at cars and i actually only got to see the MiTo. I bought it there and then after the test drive. I wouldve considered the Ibiza had there been an FR or Cupra version out now.
What i will say is that none of those cars will get the same attention as the MiTo. It like you say is highly sought after and draws attention and glances all the time. Something NONE of the others will do even though theyre all great in their own right. Its low insurance (Grp 10 for the 155 and Grp 6 i think for the 120) and emissions are comparitively low for the performance meaning cheap tax.
Its not much different to the VXR and 197 performance wise and is atleast £1k cheaper than the 197 and maybe £2k cheaper than the VXR and alot cheaper insurance wise.
I havnt seen an Ibiza close up so cant really compare and dont know what the performance difference is but its quite a difference £2k
Ive made my choice........i know what i think you should do:)
HAppy Hunting!

B

·
0 Posts
I quite like the Ibiza outside, but just found it too disappointing on the inside, there's an epic difference between the two cars interiors.

The think which disappointed me most about the Ibiza though was the diesel on offer was the old 1.9 TDi unit rather than the much more improved 2.0 TDi which replaced it.

If you want a Veloce why not consider the 1.3 diesel? It's still got a 6 speed box, doesn't lose much in performance on the 1.6 and still has bags of torque.

I'd be interested to know what you think of the two test rides though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I quite like the Ibiza outside, but just found it too disappointing on the inside, there's an epic difference between the two cars interiors.

The think which disappointed me most about the Ibiza though was the diesel on offer was the old 1.9 TDi unit rather than the much more improved 2.0 TDi which replaced it.

If you want a Veloce why not consider the 1.3 diesel? It's still got a 6 speed box, doesn't lose much in performance on the 1.6 and still has bags of torque.

I'd be interested to know what you think of the two test rides though.
Sadly I am housebound today with a sore throat and the shivers (hope it's not swine flu!) So will probably have to wait until tomorrow for my test drive. One the Ibiza diesel engine front I have heard from Arnold Clark that the 1.9TDi is being replaced with a 1.6CR-TDi with the same 105bhp but better fuel economy.

Just did a quick configuration with the 1.3 diesel Veloce

1.3 JTDM 90bhp - Alfa Red, black dash & seats = £14,386

So that comes out the same price as the 1.4 TB 120bhp Veloce but I'd be losing 40 bhp, after 8 years of driving my '96 Ibiza I'd like to upgrade to something quite a bit nippier.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated the prices above as I have used the Seat car configurator to get the accurate price of £12,402 for the new Ibiza I'd be looking for.

Also, I have heard people say the MiTo has better ride comfort with the 16" wheels, can anyone confirm this? In the showroom the 17" were slightly better looking.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yep the 16"s are better ride but 17"s look MUCH nicer. Mito does have a firm ride though to be fair.
If i were you i would go for 120 veloce. It will get 40+mpg and is nearly as quick as the 155 but with better insurance, tax and economy. We looked at Ibiza too but dismissed it for the old engines and cr*ppy interior (what were Seat thinking - get a lambo designer and then lumber it with cheapo fit and finish and old school engines. Forced ion them by VW no doubt) The Ibiza should be much cheaper than the Mito though as they were offering us some serious deals. (£12k car for 9.5!) Happy hunting :)

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
buy the mito.....its awesum

my babe gets so much attention as its the only one in my area at the mo and people think its a sport car and are suprised wen i tell them the spec...alll love it, even got stopped by a guy the other day in my local garage as i was fillin her up....he was well impressed and was goin to book a test drive...you wont get peeps doin that with a seat!!!!!:cheese:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An update...

Went for test drives in both the Ibiza and the MiTo this weekend. On Saturday we went and test drove first the Ibiza 1.6 105bhp petrol which had a nice growl to it and handled very nicely, then we got a shot in the 1.9 TDi 105bhp (which had actually been bought by a customer and was waiting prep for pick-up) and it seemed a better drive, certainly more punch than the petrol engine. Plenty of room in the Ibiza, and a five seater, although the interior looked much better with the climate control.

Today we went for an extended test drive in the MiTo, we had it for an hour which was great as we had to jump through hoops to get our test drives in the Ibiza. The car certainly seemed a lot punchier than the 1.6 petrol Ibiza and slightly more than the 1.9 TDi in Normal mode, and a lot quicker in Dynamic mode. One thing I'd point out is the car we test drove was the 155bhp Veloce whereas we'd be looking at buying the 120 bhp Veloce, so there is going to be some difference there. The MiTo certainly sticks well to the road, but is a lot harder ride than the Ibiza and there seemed to be more road noise in the cabin in the MiTo I prefer the interior of the MiTo slighty compared to the Ibiza, the controls on the steering wheel are far better located in the MiTo as in the ibiza they are on a control stick behind the wheel under the light controls.

price wise I'd be looking at a difference of £16 per month more to get the MiTo which I can certainly live with, my only fear is the MiTo is going to be more expensive to run in the long trm compared to the VW built Seat Ibiza. I think all Alfa's have the reliability stigma attached to them and it's hard to shake off.

One poiunt I don't like about the MiTo veloce is the wing mirrors and light surround finishes. I'd prefer to have colour coded wing mirrors and the chrome finish light surrounds as I think they go better as the door handle is also chrome. However my dealer told me that these are not an option on the Veloce which I would be quite disappointed about.

We have almost decided on the Mito 120 bhp veloce, but not on a colour.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The light surrounds must be an option, albeit approx £150. You can get them carbon fibre aswell like the dash. If you go on the alfa mito site where you build a mito theyre on there.:)
Reliability wise alot of the parts used on the MiTo are proven on the Punto.
From my experience over the last few days ive returned to my car to find people looking round it, people rubber necking at it etc. I doubt you'd get this with the Ibiza allthough its a looker.
Heart or Head?:lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts