Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 911 went for its MOT and flew through except for high hydrocarbon readings. Three trips to the garage to get a pass. Apparently the mixture is all ECU controlled and porsche control the ECU access.......cellulose thinners and an italian tune up eventually solved that problem.
My wifes/the kids Fiat 500 was due an MOT so i drove it down to the same garage- local to us and very good. Was making a few dire noises and the pinion bearing sounded like ****. It passed with a replacement front kerb side strut-now i know what the dents in the alloy are from.......but on the way home the clutch was slipping...took it in to the garage next day to get a clutch fitted. Asked wife and daughters about the noise and slipping clutch, "oh yes its been making that noise for a while now and sometimes when you accelerate and the revs go up but the car slows down"......garage rings me two hours later.' Your gearbox has half a litre of fluid left in it and its lunched the gear clusters,pinion and contaminated the clutch' 'They all do that sir...". Recon gearbox three hundred quid.....plus the clutch,fluids and fitting......
This afternoon the sun was shining so i put the Alfa Spider roof down,inserted a cool 80s c/d and looked forward to driving it back to work looking shiny with its five hundred quids worth of newly rust removed,metal welded in and resprayed arches on the rear and body polish. Ten miles later the temp gauge has risen to 85 degrees so i had a quick look under the bonnet. Oil in the water and water in the oil. Did i mention our local garage? Its near my work. Drove it into their storage yard for them to fix when time allows. It didn't get too hot and sounds fine but it will need a new gasket minimum and a good flush through of water and oil ways. The garage owner says he is thinking of charging me board i spend so much time there.
The only car not ****ing me off currently in the fleet is our volvo estate we use to carry the dogs around. Thinking of buying a bicycle.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Thats a b**mer! I hope it gets sorted soon. My automatic S4 has been off the road for almost two months with a gearbox problem. It has been diagnosed and almost repaired but just waiting final parts. It is frustrating and I sympathise!

I'm sure you are aware, but it is very important to warm these cars up properly before giving them the italian tune up treatment or they will warp heads/blow gaskets.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do tend to warm my cars up reasonably well as the location of my house means a few minutes of slow driving before I reach dual carriageway. The car was nicely warm before I hit the bypass.
The head gasket on a 25 year old car should really be seen as a replaceable part so it's no bad thing. Plan to use the car as much as possible so reliability counts.
Financially it could have been at a better time as always. Is there a go to head gasket I should be looking to have fitted please?
The fiat was just amusing. There are three daughters and my wife in my life and you learn to laugh at them. It beats tears! They have a rule of if it runs don't tell dad it's making a noise as it will **** him off!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sen-Ryan I found a great man in Oldham doing a recon fiat box for three hundred delivered,no return on your old box and 12 months guarantee, I paid close to that for a dolomite box thirty years ago I think.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Sorry to hear that John. I replaced the stat around a year ago.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not your fault mate. That's just old cars. Be a good thing when it's done. How's your Lancia collection? Very envious of them and I'm never t envious of much in this world.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Lancias are all fine. Just not enough time to drive them at the moment :-(

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They finally finished installing the clutch today on the fiat 500 after encountering some problems with rusty bolts- hardly a new phenomenon in garage work? Paid my money and my daughter drove it home. No second fourth or reverse gear....... I drove it back to them with practically no cheery smile left in the countenance.......circlips fell off the linkage sir they phoned me an hour later to tell me.....so new box nine days and nearly four hundred and fifty quid later I didn't get new circlips fitted....... Got to love English garages....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts