Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 2 of these to put in the fog lights. Neither of them worked. Seems strange..:(
Any one fitted them in the fogs? Any problems with them working?

I have LED W5W in the side lights, and they work fine. :)

·
Banned
530 Posts
Same as me bud,never worked either fecking rip. off from eBay,got the sidelights too and number plate led's too.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Probably the polarity. The manufacturer had to make a decision as to the polarity and it's probably wrong for the 916. Bulbs don't care which way round they're wired. LEDs do.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing there's no way to change the polarity of a H3 bulb, due to there being only one wire attached to it..?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Me, I'd dismantle the LED and rewire it. The other possibility is to carefully remove the terminals from the connector and swap them around. That can be difficult though without damaging them. There's normally a small hole into which a tool can be inserted which will release the lock and the terminal can be withdrawn. There may also be a secondary lock. Unfortunately, I can't recall the type of connector used.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are definitely reverse wired. I can get both bulbs to work by connecting them to a 12v supply.
Any one tried to unsolder/resolder a LED..:confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
arrr, instead of pulling apart the led and resoldring it how about rewire the connector going into the fog light instead by cutting the wires and resoldering them the otherway around making sure you use heatshrink?

Steve

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
arrr, instead of pulling apart the led and resoldring it how about rewire the connector going into the fog light instead by cutting the wires and resoldering them the otherway around making sure you use heatshrink?

Steve
I had thought of that, but if you wanted to go back to stock bulbs, you'd have to go through it all again..:cry:

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have done this. Make up a jumper lead about 50mm long with a male spade terminal on one end and a female spade terminal on the other. Then connect the bulb pigtail to the earth and use the jumper to connect the earth to live. This works because the housing is plastic and isolated from the bodywork (normal earth).

Easy Peasy

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a plan. Could you expand on the details a bit, I'm a bit thick when it comes to electrics..:mygrin1:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi pdf, The bulb has a pigtail ending in a male spade connector, normally positive, and is earthed via the metal body of the bulb, normally negative.

The lamp holder has a positive feed with a female spade connector that connects to the bulb pigtail, and a earth wire that connects to a spade terminal on the body of the bulb holder.

Disconnect the earth and connect up the positive feed. Then use the jumper that you made up to connect the bulb pigtail to the earth terminal on the holder. A bit of heat shrink over the connection and Bob' yer Aunt.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Why do you have to change it back? Only the LED is polarised, the STD bulb should work any old way. Besides those LED bulbs 'should last a very very long time. Only a thought.
Steve

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why do you have to change it back? Only the LED is polarised, the STD bulb should work any old way. Besides those LED bulbs 'should last a very very long time. Only a thought.
Steve
Oh yeah...never thought about the old bulbs not being fussed either way...:thumbs::D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts