Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G QV has Xenon HID dipped beams, but H1 incandescent filament main beams. Just swapped the stock bulb for the "+120% extreme" from Halfords. Superb upgrade, like driving in daylight. Also (and I don't work for them), now might be the time to take advantage of their 2 for one offer on bulbs ...

Main beams are dead easy to swap out, unliked the dipped beams on my previous G 170JTDm2 that I had upgraded to Nightbreaker +90% for the main and dipped beam; that change over needed a highly trained pet octopus and some home rigged tools made out of a teaspoon :cry:

Nightbreakers were certainly a match for the brightness of the G QV Xenons, and they are also on the BOGOF at Halfords this week.

Anyone got any other good bulbs or tips on swap overs?

·
Administrator
87,057 Posts
FYI Car Bulbs, Headlights, Xenon Bulbs | Philips & Osram | PowerBulbs are currently doing a 15% discount & offer a 12 month warranty on their bulbs :thumbs:

Powerbuldbs email said:
We'd like to offer you a festive discount of 15% off your next order when you use the following voucher code: FESTIVE

This code is valid until 30th December 12PM GMT. If you're based in the UK then if you order by Friday 16th December 12pm then you will receive your order by Christmas. Please note that we're now unable to guarantee Christmas delivery for orders to outside of the UK. However, we'll still dispatch your order immediately

Fitted a set of Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs to 147's main beams last month :thumbs: I'd do the same for the dims except there's very little access space & it's not worth removing the bumper/headlights :cry:

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Snap! I bought the Ring Ultimate Xenons (+120) at £19.99 per pair for my H1's, (yet to test) after the improvement made by the Ring Xenon Max (+100) at £17.99 per pair I fitted earlier in the week. I had a game fitting the dipped beam though, they are so far into the headlight it's untrue, and to make it even worse the nearside headlights retaining clip fell off as I undid it! It bounced down to the front of the headlight and took half an hour to get out with a fish wire! Of course then refitting it by touch was a right pig! I felt at the time it was a sign that I shouldn't mess! (but I'm glad I did!!).

Led DRL's don't look quite so white now though!!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never found anyone who could change the "front fog lamp" bulbs in a 147 or a Giulietta outside a main dealer, and they won't put any bulb in that is not on the approved list.

Anyone got a handy diagram of how to do it, or does it need a ramp and bumper removal?

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I think the ramp and undertray removal might be the issue.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have standarn headlamps in my G QV ie not xenon, what type are they so that I know what to buy if I wanted to change for brighter ones ?

cheers

·
Administrator
87,057 Posts
I have never found anyone who could change the "front fog lamp" bulbs in a 147
No problem with the fogs on a F/L 147, just drive it up on a ramp & they are easy to change from underneath :thumbs:
Front fogs on an original 147 however could be a problem ( they were in the main light cluster in that version not down low in the bumper as they are in the F/L )

I have standarn headlamps in my G QV ie not xenon, what type are they so that I know what to buy if I wanted to change for brighter ones ?

cheers

Dipped H7, Main H1 according to the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I recently fitted Xtreme 5000k Hi Beam lamps to match up with the main beam Xtreme 5000k's which eventually were fitted for me by Autoworld in Chesterfield after I dropped the spring holder down inside the headlamp housing. I have the same lamps ready for the fogs and the car due its 21K service in two weeks time will ask them very nicely to oblige again. 5000K matches nicely with the DRL's and the forward illumination is fantastic now.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
The foglamps look very similar to the units in the F/L 147 - surround is different obviously.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Iv

I just had one of my bulbs replaced by halfords with the 120% brightness and need the other one done but they refused as the retaining clip is missing. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement as my local ***** dealer said they don't do them. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
37,768 Posts
The clip on my G headlight looked pretty much the same as the one that retained the bulb on my Mk4 Golf headlight bulb (also H7)

You will probably find one at a scrappy to fit as the bulb holders are all similar in design, providing they use the same bulb type.

I very nearly lost one of mine when fitting my Philips bulbs, it fell out of the light and dropped down into the undertray.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts