Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Alan, yeh the interior is lovely, and ive always been a fan of the styling on the 159...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sorted out the crank case breather wee filter. Read a lot about the catch can set up, and hummed and hawed for a while, but in the end I’ve just put it back to factory and fitted a 16mm ID pipe from the crankcase breather hard pipe and then stretched it to fit over the 20mm ID white t-piece pipe that‘s on the intake pipe.

I’ve also decided to whip the subframe off the car whilst its on the ramp.. its starting to look rusty in places so will get that off and sort it...

Went well until the lower wishbone won...haha, breaker bar slipped off the nut and ended up pinging back somehow right on to the nose...had the eyes streaming..and a nose bleed for a while...oops..

4A989ADB-6DF2-436D-988D-54DCA6A5B04C by Guy McCallum, on Flickr

Thought I’d better label the nuts and bolts that have come offf, no way was i remembering! Haha..
2A6A9019-5B71-4711-9252-93647EFE6326 by Guy McCallum, on Flickr

So only the 4 front nuts to loosen now.... and they are e24 e-torx ones... I’ve given them a soaking in plus gas from the top... not so easy to get access to, but some will be better than none... Got the back ones off with the help of heat, came off no probs..

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Going to take this to get sand blasted tomorrow, save me the work.. only going to cost circa £25...cant argue at that.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Got to say car looks stunning and I am well jealous of the workshop with the 2 poster in there. What I would give to have that set up!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice one.

All been there with a wayward breaker or ratchet

Subframe one of the jobs on my list . Was planning to get to it when I do the clutch.

RN? Still serving? I did 28 years:oops:(y)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice one.

All been there with a wayward breaker or ratchet

Subframe one of the jobs on my list . Was planning to get to it when I do the clutch.

RN? Still serving? I did 28 years:oops:(y)
Left in 2011, was a wafu, flew junglies. Up flying out to the oil rigs now. Good times though!(y)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I did the same Subframe job on mine too. One of my front bolts was troublesome...

I cleaned up all the bolts and resembled with lots of copper grease to help in the future if I have to remove it again for any reason.

Don't forget to get the wheel alignment done when it's back together. Mine was quite a long way out apparently.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
The alignment will be affected by the location bolts because they have some clearance. You can leave them slightly loose and lever the subframe to equalise the Camber. Then check Toe Settings

·
Registered
63 Posts
Guy, I have a 2011 159 SW 2.0 JTDm. I have long suspected that water finds its way onto the top of the airbox and then inside to soak the filter. Then follows cycles of soaking and drying out, all affecting the performance of the filter, I think. I invite others to chip in with their opinions.
The point is, whilst the front bumper is off, you might consider waterproofing the top of the airbox to avoid all this nonsense!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for the input Andy, the bumper is actually back on already, but yeh, I’ll take on your point. I wonder if its a known issue? Might be worth starting a thread on it to see if other owners have this issue? Although I’m not too sure how the water gets in? It’s hard plastics and is screwed together at the bottom...there’s also not really any water source above it? (y)

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,055 Posts
There is a one way valve built in to the lid that (should be base I guess) to let any water out so it should not build up. I think most just comes in through the intake as its low and forward facing. Heavy rain or standing water can easily get in there....its not really a problem with an annual filter change....just don't go though water deeper than the lower edge of your front bumper!!

Reactions: Guymcc
21 - 33 of 33 Posts