Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lengthy wait I have recieved the sad news that my car has been 'written off ' as a total loss, I am gutted to say the least.
What looks to me like a new wing and repair to the door is goiing to cost £2060 to repair PLUS parts according to the garage.
Seriously looking into asking the insurance if they will use second hand parts ,or if I can buy it back and repair myself.
Anyone had dealings like this with their insurance?
Would not be so bothered if I had damaged it myself but it was parked!!!
FEB 7th looks mighty close now may be a space available if I can not get it sorted!!:cry:

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. I bought mine back from the insurers but decided to donate the parts to AutoLusso (!) The problem is often the damage you can't see, mine was reckoned to cost £4600 to repair for front end and bonnet; it's the odd bits plus labour that bump the cost up. If you decide to buy her back make sure there is no "hidden" damage that will cost extra.

The log book will be stamped to identify the car as an insurance write-off so the value will never be as much as a "straight" car and you will have to have it examined before re-registering.

Not much consolation I know.

Rob

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am pretty sure that the reg doc being marked is an urban myth unless it has very recently been introduced.
Dealt with loads of salvage before and the docs were never marked as such, Would nullify the need for an HPI check would it not, finance aside that is?
I stand to be corrected though!
What is the going rate for a MINT v6 at the moment (as mine was pre accident!) Belts and waterpump done not 4000 miles ago!!!
Has 108,000 on the clock now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funnily enough the cost to repair is exactly the same as Glass's price for a private sale?????
£2060 , The alloy wheel is unmarked as is the tyre on the passenger side at the point of impact literally the wing and door affected only and my own feeling is that they did not want the work, how much did you pay to buy yours back as a percentage of pre accident?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Funnily enough the cost to repair is exactly the same as Glass's price for a private sale?????
£2060 , The alloy wheel is unmarked as is the tyre on the passenger side at the point of impact literally the wing and door affected only and my own feeling is that they did not want the work, how much did you pay to buy yours back as a percentage of pre accident?
D'you know that's the position with mine £4600 for an '04 plate 16v JTD, never thought about it like that, problem was they only offered me £4100, that's why I'm still fighting! I bought mine back for £750 (unmarked from the wings back and NO air bags set off).

Rob

·
Registered
334 Posts
Insurance buy backs are normally 10% of the value of the car.

Also they tend to write cars off if repair is over 60% of the value of the car.

Mint v6 depending on year £1000 - £3000 I'd guess obviously assuming its not a gta

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I bought my Peugeot 106 back from insurance company for £100 after getting a cheque for £600.Fixed it up with a bit of duct tape and has passed the MOT like that for the last 3 years.
Next insurance quote was only £10 per year more even after having having to pay other party out £1000 ( on insurance ) for my fault accident.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Had the same in July with my 147. But its the damage you can't see that adds to the repair bill. I didn't buy mine back as they made me a good offer, I sent them some ads for similar cars, which things along.

Talk to the garage thats done the assessment and go and see the car. The one I dealt with actually gave me a copy of the report and the quote with full parts list, prices and labour (even included paint costings). They're usually fair and the have to guarantee any work they do. So they always use new parts.
They actually would rather have the work than just see the car taken to the scrap yard.

Depends how much you love the car and if your going to keep for a while.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Feel for you, I lost my 156 just before xmas front wing, suspension damage £3000 to repair. total loss, eventually got insurance to agree to buy back £750, but they needed a new MOT after repair to insure again, but I chickened out, didn't know what else I would find,final payout was agreed and now have a newer 156 by adding a little cash. Feel I did the better deal. Good luck to whoever buys and repairs my old one. it is a cracking runner and was well cared for.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a follow up to this post.
I have been contacted by the offenders insurance engineer and have been offered £1860 plus I can have my car back!!
Very happy with that offer( £2360 straight cash deal!)
When I brought the car I had the cambelts done and a new water pump and spent just under £1000 including buying the car, so I really can not complain.
Now I have to pull my finger out and get it repaired for the 7th Febuary attempt!
Fingers crossed.:cheese:

M

·
0 Posts
Good news David! Good luck with the fix, hopefully you can somehow get it done in time. I'm sure you'll get a big cheer on arrival if you make it:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Excellent news

Now see if you can get it fixed for a decent amount......and pocket the extra cash:thumbs: !!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
just find a little private body shop that can do the work fairly cheap, go on ebay find someone who's breaking one up and get the parts from there, you'd be amazed what these little body shops can do, i had a little bump in the snow a couple of weeks back totally wrecked the bumper but they managed to repair it, with various plastic welds etc, repainted it and now you can't even tell can't see of feel the cracks at all, cost me £225 in total including new wheel arch, new fog light surround, bumper repair, paint labour etc etc, they had the car for 2 days so was well chuffed with that

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a cat D, I will be doing the work myself, had many a year doing accident repairs etc, just never been on this side of the fence!!
Thinking of getting a 2.4 JTD with the spare cash and maybe upgrading the wifes car to mine!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where on earth did they mange to purchase a wheel arch for a 156 from?
My bet is that it was repaired at that price!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts