Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

In these insane driving conditions a young girl locked her brakes and went into the back of my 159 tonight,to be fair the car took it pretty well be the rear plastic bumper has cracked and will need replacing i guess.

I've flagged it to my insurers but don't want to lose my NCB so i believe I claim through her insurance. Do people tend to speak to the other party's insurers direct or allow them to raise the claim ? I'm fairly certain she won't be awkward but then again i'd rather not appear to be to forceful by going direclty to her insurer without her knowing.

How do people tend to play these things ?

TIA,
Mike.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Just go through your insurance company, they will claim it back on your behalf :thumbs: you won't loose your ncb

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
... if it's not sorted quickly you may have to pay the excess and then get it back later ...

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Let ur ins company claim it from her ins company, once liability is admitted your NCB gets reinstated.

and don't use a credit hire company for the repairs or hire!!!!

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Well it can appen to even the best of us. Over here (ireland!) one'sown insurance company usually takes up the claim with the other person's insurance . First things first is to get a quote for the damage and see how much it is . Depending on that and if you want to contact her and see what she wants to do. The thing to remember is that you can go to whomever YOU wish to get the car fixed . Also it may look like the 159 only needs a bumper but sometime's there can be more damage when the repairer looks at the car. Its tough but at least no one was hurt .

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Yeah should be fairly straight forward Mikey as she's hit you from behind!

With a bump like that she or her Insurance company can't shift the blame or go 50/50 as its a black and white case.

Even if you'd braked hard, the person behind is always supposed to leave enough distance...

Who is she insured with? Hopefully it will get approved quickly if they're decent...

Have you checked inside the boot, made sure the lid opens/closes properly? Looked underneath etc etc... Try and make sure it gets repaired at an Alfa Garage too, if fact insist on it.

Good luck fella

R

·
0 Posts
Dont want to be Mr doom and gloom but, I claimed through my insurance for an accident clearly not my fault and until it was settled I had to pay my excess and they bumped my insurance up ( 3 times the annual premium ) and they would not budge until the other party eventually admitted liability and his insurance paid out, only then did I get back my excess and got my premiums reduced, what a ball ache it all was, insurance claim = pain no matter who is to blame.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hard luck, that's pretty much what happened to me last year in the middle of France, though in my case I was shunted by a French window shopper. The damage didn't look too bad, don't want to depress you but the eventual bill (to her insurers of course) for a bumper & paint, came to just under £2000, and I got my NCB back eventually. A word of advice to you all, if you have any kind of accident, try to have it in your own country, my insurers are still trying to resolve everything 16 months later.

Oh yes, and no increase in my premium.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Yeah should be fairly straight forward Mikey as she's hit you from behind!

With a bump like that she or her Insurance company can't shift the blame or go 50/50 as its a black and white case.
Not always true, I have won in court many times where the person we were acting for hit the claimant from behind and had liability go 100% against the claimant :thumbs: different circumstances though.

Once liability is admitted by the other party your NCB will get reinstated but it has to be formally admitted by the TP insurer then you are ok and you will get your excess back etc.

Foreign claims are different due to jurisdiction issues and its quite easy for the foreign insurer to get away with it as alot of ins companies absorb the cost themselves rather then go through the hassle of a foreign recovery (which is lengthy trust me!!).

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really don't want to be out of pocket here guys and don't want the hassle of trying to get money back or NCB re-instated. Assuming she and her insurance company are honest here then there should be no issue so it makes sense to me to claim through them via her ?

If they do start being awkward then I can get my insurers involved.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I really don't want to be out of pocket here guys and don't want the hassle of trying to get money back or NCB re-instated. Assuming she and her insurance company are honest here then there should be no issue so it makes sense to me to claim through them via her ?

All depends how much running around you want to do, if you deal with your insurers then i phone call and they'll sort it out for you (i.e. get your car booked in to be fixed etc), if you deal direct then you'll probably have to run round getting quotes yourself (some companies near us actually charge for quotes!!!) ... I've had quite a few shunts (*none of which was my fault) and always dealt through the insurance company, I've personally never had to pay the excess up front as the insurance companies usually get there act into gear pretty quick.

* Mrs 156 still claims it was my fault that she drove her car into mine, whilst it was stationary on the drive :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Always go through your insurers, that way your car gets fixed and then let them worry about claiming their outlay back, it will get resolved quicker, do not try it yourself, let your insurers handle it as you will get everything back from them, they may contact you and offer to deal with the repairs for you and offer you a hire car whilst its being repaired (admiral do this)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Am STILL waiting to hear about my NCB and get my excess of £600 back after some stupid woman n her jeep side swiped me at a mini roundabout and then said it was my fault :cry::mad::rant:

And if you'd dealt with their insurance company direct you'd be out of pocket for the total repair bill (still) or your car wouldn't have been fixed ...

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
Sure it is Skell, the only positive was that I got the paint job extended to under the door which was flaking -before I got her! - and the guy sprayed all my bonnet so no more stone chips, for £100 -deal I say!!!! He clearly loved my car too.....well who wouldn't??:cool::)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Really????? :wow:
Well until they admitted liability ... although sounds like it might be court (unless you are willing to go 50:50) ... in which case you definitely want your insurance company legal department on board ...

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Bugger:(

I nearly got had twice on Tuesday. Once by a copper from the side and once up the rear by a van driver. Really lucky but it pees me off when people either think they're Seb Loeb on the Monte Carlo or they assume their braking distances are the same as normal. Her fault, her insurance pays with no un-recoverable costs to you. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
most roundabout claims go 50/50 unless there are witnesses, you should always report it to your insurers as they will indemnify you against any legal action that may arise, especially since everyone wants something for nothing these days (PI claims, credit hire etc)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts