Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? For £165 you get a days training - looks like a lot of fun. I'm not sure my 1999 GTV V6 would be quite so keen...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I did this. Should anyone be interested it goes like this..

Turn up at 8.30 and join a queue of like minded fools in a variety of cars from a diesel Mondeo estate to a couple of things with motorbike engines and two Ferraris a 430 and 550.

Park up, get the MOT cert looked at and collect a helmet. Then off to a briefing explaining the correct lines to take etc. All very friendly and even an antisocial grump like me got to talk to others. It's pretty much blokes of a certain age - if you know what I mean...

There are three groups of ten cars, I am number seven. We get to walk the hill in our group with an instructor. It is very narrow, basically a tarmac farm track - bits are quite steep. We get told that there will be a convoy run and then we get four runs, lunch, then four more. I rather expected the convoy run to be a gentle pootle, not so!

We do two runs, then the three instructors who watch us at thee points on the hill chat to us individually and let us know if we are any good. Two more runs, more instructor feedback then lunch. With the four runs after lunch we get marked and the results are given to us at the end. It was an enjoyable day.

I was a bit worried about looking after the car, it's old - any number of 20 year old parts could have given up. The old girl did a fine job - I absolutely could have gone quicker and I should have pushed the car harder. There was one point of heavy braking and my brakes are less than perfect. Maybe I'll go back next year for another go.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Interesting, sounds like fun! I very nearly did this at Shelsley Walsh a month back, but couldn't in the end. I dare say my TS Spider is hardly going to fly up through the esses, but I'd probably do it for fun anyway!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was fun, but there are a few things to be aware of.

You don't actually get much time driving hard, it's somewhere between 40 and 50 seconds per climb - so with eight runs that's not much. There is lot of time waiting for others to do their stuff, so the car gets a brief period of stick then nothing. I was a bit concerned that this might be prob for cooling but all was ok; it wasn't a particularly hot day. I did consider a track day but thought that the longer period of high speed action would put more strain on brakes & tyres, once I have done a bit more work on the car (only had since Feb) some time on a track is a possibility.

I think the tight turns and the climb point towards power or light weight, preferably both, which make this something a twin spark GTV would probably struggle with. I have one as well as the V6 so I am aware of the difference.

Below is a link to a video - I'm on at two mins - don't laugh!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1dRKZeYYbBgxB?t=4s

·
Registered
37,773 Posts
Love the blue GTV with the tea tray on the back, my favourite!

I also liked your professional knuckle-flexing prior to launch ;)

Looks like great fun!

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Looks great! Certainly less hard on the car than a track day I would think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheers for your write up and link to the vid. Nice that there is a real mix of cars and you can try it in anything, got me thinking about it now.

Like you I'd be a little worried about pushing too hard in an older car, but like you would probably try this over a track day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts