Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

something returned today that I thought I'd solved: gurgling in the heater after a cold start. Some time ago I started to get gurgling noises from the heater after the car had cooled down, which got steadily worse until new radiator hoses fixed it. Apparently air got sucked into the cooling system through a small crack in the top hose as the coolant contracted, because the gurgling only occurred in the first minute or so. But now it would seem to be coming back. What can this be? Waterpump bearings/seal? Other coolant hose?
Just don't tell me it's the headgasket... frown

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe you didn't bleed the system properly ???
When the engine is warm (not hot), squeeze the hoses with your hands. This may chase any air out of the system.

Marlon

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you hear whereabouts the noise is coming from?

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's only air that gurgles.

I assume the system isn't leaking as otherwise steam would be coming out from somewhere.

Start the engine (cold!) with the heater on full blast. Then take the cap off the header tank and check the level. Top it up to "full".

Squeeze any hose you can see to flush out any air and then let it settle down a bit before repeating the process.

Finally, stick the cap back on and let it all cool down, before one last check of the coolant level.

Ralf S.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys!

I'm pretty sure it's not a bleeding problem, as the gurgles are only there for a little while after a cold start, when the car has been standing for several hours or a day. After I start the car, with the heater on, I can hear bubbles rushing through the heater (driver's=lefthand footwell) when I rev the engine. With heating off, no noise. It seems that air has collected somewhere in the engine, which is then forced through the heater on its way to the expansion tank. After that, no more noises. On a hot start, no noises. Also, after I fitted new hoses and put new coolant in, I could hear some air as the last bubbles of air in the system were flushed out, but after that I heard nothing for several weeks. Now it's back!? :mad:

Now that I think about it, the car did this when I bought it some 70k km ago, and the dealer I got it from solved the problem under warranty (pity they didn't fix the missing (!) airco at the same time, but that's another story). There's no noticable loss of coolant, the oil is clean, so I'm baffled. The only thing I can think of is the waterpump seal. Perhaps some air is pulled past the seal as the engine cools down? Maybe I'll take off the timing cover and have a look for stains there.

Any ideas? From previous threads I got the impression that waterpumps are rarely a problem on these engines. Then again, it's done 170k km (105k miles) of proper wink driving.

Thanx!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly sounds like the system is pulling air in as it cools down and then pushing it out as it warms up. Could be something simple as an old pipe that is beginning to crack. Good luck finding it!!!

wrinx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts