Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there had the clutch overheating warning? This happened to me a few weeks ago going up a steep hill just after starting my journey. The clutch was burning you could smell it. I went back down hill and returned home very cautiously. The dealer has reprogrammed the box and now is more positive but judders and lurches forward at low speed. I am very very worried warranty up in May this year. Help!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes. I had it once too. I was on a single track and had to reverse slowly for close to 100m uphill. You could smell the clutch. This is normal on the newer tcts, didn't get this on my 135tct 2011 mito. I've been told if you reverse at speed you don't have this problem but I'm not a car stunt driver. Something to do with low gears and revs, but in my case slow reversing and forwarding to straighten up reversing up hill.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Meant to say, your dealer should have known about this warning with the tct. With my 2014 G I had a separate Tct document regarding this issue and not to be alarmed. The car was brought new so had all the user info, maybe yours was missing but its a separate A5 sheet so you may have lost it. When it happened to me I had to keep going, but if its still overheating the car will go into lockdown mode and the engine will stop to give the clutch time to cool. My 2011 tct mito wasn't like this and didn't have this warning feature. The tct in the G is far better and smoother than the first generation one. I hope they haven't made your car worse as there was no need to have anything done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for this response, mind at rest now. Going to Provence this year did not want to do the trip on a low loader!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Today my clutch totally burnt out. I went to engage Drive but it wouldn't select, tried a couple more times, next thing plumes of smoke coming from under bonnet.
Alfa dealer reckons I tried to engage "launch control" unsuccessfully...he says you get 6-7 attempts before the clutch gives out. I said I find it ridiculous even Alfa would fit such a system, he could hardly explain any more as apparently Alfa "keep it a secret".
I must admit I didn't know much about launch control so googled it, it seems it would be quite difficult to accidentally select.
I've since been told if I didn't select launch control then it might be the clutch was slipping.
Totally fobbed off and not very happy! Now have to wait until Monday when they'll investigate more. Car is only 2 months old!
(Sorry to hijack thread)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes, this launch control seems to be some hidden secret. I had a 2011 135 tct mito and there is no mention of of in the manual. If its in the 2014 manual for the giulietta it must be hidden away. I only found out about it because Alfa where pushing this feature on the new qv mitos and g marketing! It had always been on the tct since 2010 but some kind of dark Alfa secret! I've never tried it and don't want to. I have read that Alfa can check how many times you have tried this and can use it as a get out clause for clutch damage. If would be very difficult to do this unintentionally, let alone 6/7 time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, this launch control seems to be some hidden secret. I had a 2011 135 tct mito and there is no mention of of in the manual. If its in the 2014 manual for the giulietta it must be hidden away. I only found out about it because Alfa where pushing this feature on the new qv mitos and g marketing! It had always been on the tct since 2010 but some kind of dark Alfa secret! I've never tried it and don't want to. I have read that Alfa can check how many times you have tried this and can use it as a get out clause for clutch damage. If would be very difficult to do this unintentionally, let alone 6/7 time.
Actually, the instructions for use of the launch control are given on page 156 of the latest manual for the Giulietta, which you can readily download from the fiat site. Reading through them I can't see how you could possible engage it unintentionally and it would justify a world wide recall if that were the case. While I enjoy a quick drive from time to time, I too find it rather bizarre that Alfa even provide launch control, particularly if it creates the risk of damage to the clutch (let alone the car's occupants or other roadusers when the launch ends badly). You would think launch control would fall foul of the nanny state EU regulations.

Perhaps they are fitting it to weed out boyracers as in "you've used the launch control X times, so you have been abusing your car and your warranty is void. So we are not fixing your faulty wiring loom, leaky boot or failed multiair after all! " Or am I being cynical?:lol:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
it's there because it's needed under certain circumstances. when you come to a standstill on a very strong incline (like 15-20%) and you're towing a heavy load you need to dump the clutch and spin the tyres to get going again. the tct won't allow this without launch control. Don't do it this way, and the clutch (even in a manual) will be burned beore you're going fast enough to let go of the clutch pedal.

·
Administrator
86,818 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Launch control? Never heard of it or knowingly tried to use it.

The 3rd year warranty by Alfa really sucks and it seems to be a likely expensive gamble to see if the clutch is damaged or not, if not I pay for the labour as I understand it? Feel a little nervous about keeping the car now!

·
Registered
37 Posts
it's there because it's needed under certain circumstances. when you come to a standstill on a very strong incline (like 15-20%) and you're towing a heavy load you need to dump the clutch and spin the tyres to get going again. the tct won't allow this without launch control. Don't do it this way, and the clutch (even in a manual) will be burned beore you're going fast enough to let go of the clutch pedal.
OK, maybe that's true. Interestingly though, absolutely none of that context is given in the owners manual, which talks about "high performance starting" and a "more lively start" - clearly appealing to the boy-racer, rather than guidance on how to get moving with a trailer on a hill!

·
Registered
948 Posts
OK, maybe that's true. Interestingly though, absolutely none of that context is given in the owners manual, which talks about "high performance starting" and a "more lively start" - clearly appealing to the boy-racer, rather than guidance on how to get moving with a trailer on a hill!
Hence the wording I used about hidden away! I am more than positive there was no mention of it in my old 2011 mito manual, and although it is in the 2014 manusl of my g, a few lines about it with no clear explanation of its use and dangers to the car is pretty poor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We seem to have gone way off topic here. I have not used launch control but got a clutch overheat warning on the dash and a strong burning smell. Has anybody else had this and any advice re 3rd year warranty claims would be really appreciated.:)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Launch control? Never heard of it or knowingly tried to use it.

The 3rd year warranty by Alfa really sucks and it seems to be a likely expensive gamble to see if the clutch is damaged or not, if not I pay for the labour as I understand it? Feel a little nervous about keeping the car now!
Don't worry to much about it. It's hard to do launch control by accident. To avoid clutch overhead issues don't reverse slowly uphill. And when driving up a very steep hill don't drive too slow in 1st car. my dealer had never heard of clutch overheating too.

R

·
0 Posts
Yes I had this on my previous Giulietta JTDm TCT , always happened to me whilst in heavy stop start traffic.
It was when in first gear foot on the brakes then off to creep forward repeatedly. after a while the warning light came on with a strong burning smell. I though that the TCT gearbox on a G should always go into neutral after a while when stood on the brakes anyway. Was going to take it to the dealers to check and see if it needed a software update as I had other issues with the TCT when cold, but these were fixed when the faulty battery was replaced.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
We seem to have gone way off topic here. I have not used launch control but got a clutch overheat warning on the dash and a strong burning smell. Has anybody else had this and any advice re 3rd year warranty claims would be really appreciated.:)
besides the other thread about a similar issue, there hasn't been any mention of this yet

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Yes I had this on my previous Giulietta JTDm TCT , always happened to me whilst in heavy stop start traffic.
It was when in first gear foot on the brakes then off to creep forward repeatedly. after a while the warning light came on with a strong burning smell. I though that the TCT gearbox on a G should always go into neutral after a while when stood on the brakes anyway. Was going to take it to the dealers to check and see if it needed a software update as I had other issues with the TCT when cold, but these were fixed when the faulty battery was replaced.
yes the tct goes into neutral when there's no speed registered (so less than 2 mph) and you're brake lights are lit, or the handbrake is applied. unless there's someting wrong, obviously.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts