Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my guilietta for about 19 months, it is an 11 plate 1.6 diesel. since ive had it my headlights have blown quite a few times, about nine times to be honest. This has either been one single bulb on either side or on 1 occasion they both went at the same time.

i always change both bulbs at the same time and it is starting to get quite exspensive as i am now trying more expensive bulbs to see if they last longer but they dont seem to be.

Can anyone advise me if this is a common fault or is there anything i can do without going to local alfa garage who want to charge me nearly £90 just to clagg it up to diagnostic machine before they look at the lights.

thanks in advance..

John

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
Our Focus blew both its headlight bulbs after the battery died.

Is the battery the original?

Might be worth getting it checked if the alternator tests out ok.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the alternator would be checking out ok, and charging continuously at a higher voltage (AGM requires higher voltage for charging) in some cases of non-functional start/stop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a previous fault with my start /stop. I was assured by alfa garage that it was fixed eventhough i still get the fault sometimes

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yesterday I replaced my right bulb and today it already broke down again....does is still have to do with the battery then?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900FD met Tapatalk

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
Did you have the lights switched on when you started the engine?

The voltage variation isn't good for halogen bulbs so it isn't good practice to do this if you can help it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, yes, because I have them on auto-mode and I always leave when it is still dark. I also don't know if it matters that it is freezing -5 degrees celcius for the last couple of days?
Good point though, from now on I will just leave the setting on the LED lights and turn the lights on after that.
Fingers crossed, does make me handy with the fiddly job though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Did you have the lights switched on when you started the engine?

The voltage variation isn't good for halogen bulbs so it isn't good practice to do this if you can help it.
I had this on a Jag XF (well known for blowing bulbs) and changed them three or four times before I heard about the auto trick.
I turned off the auto option and never blew another bulb. I'm not saying this will cure your problem but it worked for me , so that's why I've never used the auto lights on my G.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks guys. I immediately took the opportunity to replace the lights with Philips XtremeVision as I read some good comments here.
Turned off the auto-mode and so far so good!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts