Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

my short story from car obscurity to now.

We replaced our aging Alfa 147 2.0 lusso selespeed with the new Giuilietta cloverleaf, and decided to drive to the Swiss and Italian Alps, from Davos to Stelvio, the greatest driving road in the world according to Top Gear.
The drive was fantastic and a bit scary in parts, the all weather DNA option was used, more than once.

Some comments for the Guilietta were truly unexpected, as everyone described the Giulietta as "beautiful", and repeated beautiful many times in conversation and by everyone, a comment usually reserved for the Competizione 8C.
People seemed magnetic constantly being drawn towards the Giulietta.
The only slight disappointment is there’s not much trumpeting from the exhaust note, and you only get 25MPG after 3000 miles.

I am trying to be objective in my comments, but I must now say the pictures simply don’t do it justice, it is truly staggering to look at.
Driving the Guilietta is fantastic but also uncanny, because you actually get a pleasurable sensation from the car when driving.
The acceleration is breathtaking from the 1750TBI engine.
When driving round corners the Bridgestone tyres must be made of superglue-by-products, and the chassis made of kryptonite.

By far the best car Alfa Romeo have made in its class.
I now know why we drive a Alfa Romeo, I didn’t at first, it was just the great looks, and to stand out in a crowd, but its much more than that.

when you press the fob to lock up the car and walk away, but carnt help looking back just one more time, well that’s when you know,
that’s where your heart and soul is.

Note: No parts were actually made in Krypton.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Fantastic first post :D The Giulietta really does suit stunning scenery. Get those pictures up in the Motoring Images lounge so we can enjoy them full sized!

25mpg sounds very good on mountain roads driven enthusiastically!

·
Registered
473 Posts
As Matt says, fantastic first post and welcome. Great photos, best choice of colour ;) and what a great experience... if your interested, there seems to be a few third party back boxes out now, which should release some burble.. just deciding which one to get :thumbs:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hi, welcome to AO!
it sounds like you had a great first experience, congratulations.
all great pics there but that 1st one is just beautiful!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very nice pics - I like the one with the rear wheel...

I am sure my wait will be worth it for the magnesio QV we have ordered!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have some other pictures which i will upload in the Motoring Images lounge, as soon as i work out how to.
I am also editing a video of our trip, and will post a link ASAP.
If your thinking of getting a Guilietta, most deffinately get the cloverleaf standard spec, except pay the £500 for white. I think the titanium wheels as standard are better than the alloy selections, and leather/cloth seats are better than paying extra for full leather and therefore extra for seat heating.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have some other pictures which i will upload in the Motoring Images lounge, as soon as i work out how to.
I am also editing a video of our trip, and will post a link ASAP.
If your thinking of getting a Guilietta, most deffinately get the cloverleaf standard spec, except pay the £500 for white. I think the titanium wheels as standard are better than the alloy selections, and leather/cloth seats are better than paying extra for full leather and therefore extra for seat heating.
Couldn't agree with you more.. :D

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Amazing. I really do admire you for taking your new Giulietta Cloverleaf on a 'run' like this. It has been my ambition for a number of years (well, since owning my first car) to do a trip like that, and I still haven't done it.

I promised myself that when I got my MITO Cloverleaf I'd do it, but I still haven't. You've inspired be a bit I must say :thumbs:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you like driving, because its all driving, except the hotel for the night then your off again in the morning, then try it. Allocate 6 days return, a sizeable budget and plenty of supplies. You might have noticed the car is a little lower than the norm.
Its only when i returned and had time to reflect, i realised what we achieved, and yes it was all worth it. My research told me, end of September was best, as the summer camper vans have gone, and the skiing season hasnt started. Any later and you risk some passes being closed for safety.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Fantastic scenery and gorgeous QV, those dark turbine wheels are lovely :) I'd give a kidney to drive those roads in an Alfa.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I reset Trip meter from the start(Leeds), total travel distance to Italy Stelvio passo via Davos and back(1777 miles, and 38 hours driving the trip computer told me).
The route was from AA Route finder(the most direct route), however going via Bormio is a good option.
The quick route is expensive, about £100(total) in tolls and Switzerland road tax sticker at the border.
The quick route has a advantage, theres few people on it, and lets just say the Alfa Romeo Giulietta does exactly was it says on the tin, i admit i was a bit over enthusiastic, but for a short time only, just to make sure i got what i paid for, you understand of course.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts