Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone shed any light on a problem I've been having with my 2010 Guilietta? It happens quite rarely but sometimes it seems to want to put the brakes on itself. On occasion it brakes quite hard and the vehicle comes to a halt, on others it just slows down just a bit and then releases the brakes. So far this has only happened at 30 mph or less and I've not had anyone behind me, but it's quite scary and I have lost some confidence in the car now.

So far it's only happened with the DNA switch in the 'N' position, but I don't drive it in the other modes much so I'm not sure if it does it then.

I've had the car about 10 months and it's done it about 4 or 5 times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Would park it up and get alfa to check that out promptish, or check whether you've been wearing wide shoes and hitting the break pedal yourself by. Accident!:confused:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
never experienced anything like that.

some things to discuss when you take it in (which should be soon)

is it brakes or just engine braking? did anyone see the brake lights?
was it handbrake being left 'nearly on' and just binding a little the metal gets hot and expands?
any noises?
do you have big feet (that may seem silly, but if it is just the edge of a shoe catching you might not notice)
anything under the pedal box (lose a CD, carpet rucked up?)
any warning lights inside?

I guess in theory the electronics could be braking one wheel on a false signal getting into the ESR / electronic dynamics, which definitely needs looking at. In "D" mode the electronics are more muted, so it would happen less in D mode if it was linked to that

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does the pedal go to the floor when you say it 'releases' the brakes? Sounds like it could be a brake fluid leak/problem in the master cylinder. A temporary fix is to pump the pedal a few times, but you should definitely get it checked out ASAP at the dealers.

·
Registered
306 Posts
So this happens as you are driving along?

Giulietta has pre-fill brakes whereby if you depress quickly enough the accelerator the breaks are then much much more sensitive, and a light press is enough to bring the car to a standstill. Maybe it has nothing to do with your problem but it would be great if you didn't actually have a problem...

·
Registered
378 Posts
That's lethal. Don't try and resolve it yourself. Get it to the dealer and leave it there until it is fixed.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts