Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had random issues with my 2012 diesel (80k klms) during startup on cold mornings. The engine would start without any hesitation, but the TCT wouldn't always select a gear and would stay in neutral and display error messages about gearbox failure. Occasionally it would select a gear but then go to neutral instead of second and then display the gearbox failure error message which then lead to the power steering error message and the usual required re-setting of the windows and sunroof etc.

The first time this happened, I coasted to the side of the road and tried to restart it but the display continually showed various error messages. I then got out of the car and locked the door, then unlocked it and got in again and then it started and selected gears correctly for the next 2-3 weeks.

Then it started happening again so I checked the usual connections, fuses, terminals etc, and although the battery was fully charged and the alternator outputting 14.0 volts at idle, I decided to trickle charge the battery overnight and then had no issues for 2 weeks before it started happening randomly again, and mostly during early morning starts.

The starter motor always functioned correctly and started the engine without hesitation so I checked the battery voltage which still showed 12.3 to 12.5 volts when cold but during starting, the voltage dropped to between 8.8 to 9.2 volts. Again, the starter motor sounded fine and the engine would start without hesitation. I then purchased a new battery which only dropped to 10.5 volts during starting and have had no further issues.

I expect the problems were caused by the low available voltage during starting that caused the CPU to malfunction and not initiate the electric pump that powers the hydraulic actuators for the TCT's gear selection. Other than that, no other issues since new.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts