Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and to be honest a complete newbie to Alfa Romeos so any help would me much appreciated. Here goes... I have been tasked by my boss to look for a new company car and I have really fallen for the Guilia. Recently test drove the Veloce down in knutsford and it was a superb drive, but they didn't have a Super or Technica in which are the models in my price range.

Just wandering what the better spec is between the Technica and Super, as I want to try and purchase the better one of the two as they are both within the price range.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers!

Matt

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

I believe Alfa are changing the spec levels on the Giulia and I can't remember if technica is still part of the range.

Are you looking for diesel or petrol?

The dealers may still have ready made stock and were offering lots of deals with free extras which if they are still doing means you get more for your money if max spec vs cost is important.

Andy

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think Technica is only diesel if I am not mistaken and is aimed at company car drivers / fleet. Super is available in both diesel and petrol and is higher spec than technica. Bear in mind though you will need to add a few options like upgraded headlights etc. for both models as standard is halogen headlights. As mentioned above if you shop around there are plenty of deals to be had or choose from stock.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Matt, I have the Speciale 180 BHP Diesel and I know Paul has a 180 Tecnica, if you can stretch to it then I would go for the 180 if it is Diesel you are after, I originally looked at the Tecnica but due to the build delays had to get a stock vehicle, I think the Tecnica comes well equipped by comparison and if you look at the build numbers there are far fewer made/on the roads compared to other trim levels, as was said they are aimed at business users so come with some good options/packs (electric front seats [have these on mine they are great] and blacked out rear windows [wanted these but weren't added to mine]), if you can afford the Convenience Pack I'd add it, I find the Keyless entry superb, although the other options in this pack are meh.

If it is a company car then tax will also be different, same cost price would be higher tax if you go for the petrol engine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Matt,

current Tecnica spec is higher than the super as follows;

https://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/alfa-romeo-world/passion/alfa-news/2016/alfa-romeo-giulia-pricing-announced

mine is a 2017 MY with everything included in the comparison chart BUT be wary of the changes to the emissions standards due in September!!

on a positive note, and after 4000 miles in a month i can honestly say it is a brilliant car and cannot recomend the Tecnica highly enough.

from a practicality perspective, try and get split folding rear seats if you can

good luck

Paul

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Matt,

current Tecnica spec is higher than the super as follows;

https://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/alfa-romeo-world/passion/alfa-news/2016/alfa-romeo-giulia-pricing-announced

mine is a 2017 MY with everything included in the comparison chart BUT be wary of the changes to the emissions standards due in September!!

on a positive note, and after 4000 miles in a month i can honestly say it is a brilliant car and cannot recomend the Tecnica highly enough.

from a practicality perspective, try and get split folding rear seats if you can

good luck

Paul
+1 to this. I have a Tecnica (no h) and got the split seats too. For equivalent spec the Super would be more expensive.

The dark glass looks the business. In fact it's so dark that when I went across a border yesterday the guard made me wind the rear windows down as he couldn't see in it :cheeky:

·
Registered
70 Posts
PS I drove right across Germany from NW to SE. I have the 150hp one, and it's fine on the Autobahn. I'm sure the 180 is more sprightly, but mine held its own in a sea of Mercs and BMWs and was plenty fast enough and felt glued to the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys it's much appreciated the more replies and information I can get the better I can make a decision.

I am looking at the 2.2 180 Diesel for work do mainly motorway miles so the automatic will come in handy.

looking at the timescale it will be a stock model I am after as I am looking at September been offered a Technica approx £28500 which is within my bosses price range. Test drove a 180 Diesel Veloce best car I have driven to date.

My boss has a good link with BMW and gets a great price from BMW on the 3 series but I just think the Guilia is far nicer (in my very minimal knowledge opinion)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing I am struggling to get my head around is why the Technica being a better spec is cheaper than the Super??? Confusing me greatly is that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One thing I am struggling to get my head around is why the Technica being a better spec is cheaper than the Super??? Confusing me greatly is that.
I drove Giulia 136AT, 150MT and 180AT. Each of them is very good!
I prefer an excellent AT ZF8 gearbox!
The tanks are small (only 52 l) so I think diesel is a better choice for the motorway than a petrol engine!

If you have to fit into the budget, take the H7 headlamps. They are not as good as xenon, but they are very effective!

·
Registered
82 Posts
as stated, they are aimed at the fleet / business market with P11d values in mind to try and shift some more volume.

personally i think they are miles better than all the German marques because they are a real drivers car, and a few quirks make them interesting rather than soulless (ive had loads of C Class, A4's 3 and 5 series)

order one, you really wont be disappointed

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys it's much appreciated the more replies and information I can get the better I can make a decision.

I am looking at the 2.2 180 Diesel for work do mainly motorway miles so the automatic will come in handy.

looking at the timescale it will be a stock model I am after as I am looking at September been offered a Technica approx £28500 which is within my bosses price range. Test drove a 180 Diesel Veloce best car I have driven to date.

My boss has a good link with BMW and gets a great price from BMW on the 3 series but I just think the Guilia is far nicer (in my very minimal knowledge opinion)
am a motorway muncher too (4000 miles in 4 weeks!) and the ZF8 gearbox is sublime and the Tecnica package is perfect from a tax perspective as well as the overall level of trim included.

the chasis is great, and rear wheel drive is a revelation versus the usual front drive german alternatives - you wont stop grinning for weeks.

oh and the fact that they are oh so rare on the road gives one a sense of 'special' that cant be compared to anything else on the road for less than £75K - unless you drive a QV of course :blabla:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've spent the last 5 weeks in a diesel 180 as a loan car and have been surprised how little benefit in fuel spend I am seeing compared to my petrol super. It's more frugal but very much a different beast to drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Matt,

have you made a choice or still thinking about it??

cheers

Paul
Hi Paul,

Sorry not logged in for a few days. Meeting my boss in a few weeks to discuss, I am very impressed with the Giulia on test drive and you guys have certainly helped to explain a few things. One thing I am struggling with is getting any Prices off the dealers everyone up to know hasn't got back to me. It's almost like dealers don't want an outright purchase. Literally not one has come back with prices???

·
Registered
208 Posts
That was my experience, dealers were poor at contact, only the one in Leicester (Sturgess) actually did anything, Saber Ali was great so if you are looking for an outright purchase try there, although I explained that I was looking at either a purchase or company car scheme, and if the latter he wouldn't get the deal as I have no control over that, when it went that way he was less than impressed as he got nothing from being the sales guy they should all be, and I felt bad, but I did make it clear from the start.

Donalds in P'Boro just out and out closed down their Alfa Dealership and the people in Kings Lynn were just awful, people on here have recommended other contacts at other dealers so maybe worth searching for that thread.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Hi Paul,

Sorry not logged in for a few days. Meeting my boss in a few weeks to discuss, I am very impressed with the Giulia on test drive and you guys have certainly helped to explain a few things. One thing I am struggling with is getting any Prices off the dealers everyone up to know hasn't got back to me. It's almost like dealers don't want an outright purchase. Literally not one has come back with prices???

Hi mate, have you tried Beechdale at Derby? ... I’m a bit further north than you (Croston) and it’s not a bad run down to their place, lots of recommendations on here from others ... in fact I’ll probably go there for my 1st service now that Blackburn Motorpark has closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally managed to get a price from the dealer £29107 restricted to 3 colours due to stock levels. Don’t have a anything to compare it to so unsure If it’s competitive or not

1 - 20 of 22 Posts