Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think the procedure to remove the rear bumper is the same or similar to the saloon and Brera but not having done it, I can't be sure.

If you have a parking sensor issue, you can test the sensors by running your finger lightly across them, if they're working you should feel a vibration or clicking inside them as you do.

1. There are 2 self tapping screws that go through the rear wheel arch liner into the bumper and a 3rd screw that goes vertically up into the corner of the bumper;

aaIMG_8114 by Chris, on Flickr

aaIMG_8121 by Chris, on Flickr

aaIMG_8116 by Chris, on Flickr

Undo all of them on both sides. It's well worth taking the time to scratch the dirt out of the screw head with a sharp pick type implement, to save rounding them off. If you jack the car up you can better clearance to get a crew driver in and, obviously more if you take the wheel off. What you have to do will be dependent on how corroded they are. You may find yourself drilling them out....

2. There's 2 number torx screws that go in from underneath;

aaIMG_8118 by Chris, on Flickr

aaIMG_8117 by Chris, on Flickr

Remove them...

3. There's also 2 torx screws that you get at through the rear lights, so you have to pull them out.

Start by taking the bulb holder out then you have to undo the 3 number 10mm nuts that hold the light cluster in place. You'll most likely need a deep 10 socket to do this;

aaIMG_8125 by Chris, on Flickr

They're not easy at all to get at through the access panel (circled green) in the boot lining and you'll probably need to remove the lining to get at them. the removal of which is described in the next steps.

aaIMG_8128 by Chris, on Flickr

4. Remove the panel around the boot latch. It's held in place with a number of fixings as circled in the pics as well as a couple of clips meaning that you need to pull it upwards once you've removed all the screws and bolts;

aaIMG_8129 by Chris, on Flickr

2 of these (one either side)

aaIMG_8131 by Chris, on Flickr

And the clips...

IMG_8130 by Chris, on Flickr

5. Then remove the panels either side of the centre bit;

aaIMG_8128 by Chris, on Flickr

NOTE ; The fixings circled pink in the previous pic are the same as those circled pink in this one

aaIMG_8129 by Chris, on Flickr

6. Once you've got the side panels out you cal pull the boot carpet away from around the lights to get at the nuts that hold them in. Undo them and remove the light clusters...

IMG_8112 by Chris, on Flickr

And undo the 2 number torx bolts under the lights.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
7. Starting at the sides pull the bumper backwards away from the car.

IMG_8100 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8101 by Chris, on Flickr

(The snap fixing across the centre of the bumper across the top of it can be difficult to unlatch)

IMG_8105 by Chris, on Flickr

8. Theres a couple of connectors for the number plate lights and the parking sensors if fitted - unplug them and pull the bumper away from the car. You can then get at the sensors to replace them - They just latch into place.

Stating the obvious - the replacement sensor will need painting print o being fitted. Just got to a motor factors with the paint code and ask them to mix a can up for you...

IMG_8108 by Chris, on Flickr

·
Registered
606 Posts
Very handy write up Chris. I don’t suppose you happened to notice whether the rear lower black plastic bit is a separate part to the bumper? The previous owner of my SW fit twin exhausts but the the removeable exhaust blank plate leaves a different size hole to the left hand side which I don’t like and would like to replace with the dual outlet version. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very handy write up Chris. I don’t suppose you happened to notice whether the rear lower black plastic bit is a separate part to the bumper? The previous owner of my SW fit twin exhausts but the the removeable exhaust blank plate leaves a different size hole to the left hand side which I don’t like and would like to replace with the dual outlet version. Thanks.
Thanks, sorry I don't know. I was surprised to find it has heat shields around the exhausts outlets though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great guide - electrical issues

Thanks for the guide - the photos were a great help.

I've taken the bumper off 2008 159 because of the 'Parking help not available' issue. The non 'clicking' sensor by the the number plate needed replacing. Bought one and painted it Titanium grey :rotate:- all good.

Problem came when replacing the sensor. Firstly it would not come out of the bumper. Sprayed some WD40 around it, gave it a gentle
wiggle - and snap... off it came :grumpy: So that needed bonding back on (once I had jemmied the thing out with a screw driver)
Then came the connector block. Could not remove it. It has a small clip on one side that snapped off almost immediately, no big problem. But i could not separate them. Ended up using two sets of pliers and promptly broke the block to pieces.

This hour job was going south. Does anyone know where I can get the connector block?? Help

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Mods, could we get this in the fault guides sticky?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts