Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , swithering between the 1.4 th multiair & a cloverleaf , I know ones much more powerful , but realistically mpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Out of my 1.4 170 I get 40/42 mpg on a motorway run sticking around national speed limit plus 10% :) Around town etc like Bbadger says 33-36 mpg.

I'm tempted by the more powerful one but does anyone have experience of the mpg on a good motorway run? I know you don't necessarily buy them for mpg but it does help....

·
Registered
990 Posts
25-30mpg is about right for town use on the QV. I can get up to about 33-35mpg on a steady motorway run.

Not very economical, but I didn't buy it for that! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm tempted by the more powerful one but does anyone have experience of the mpg on a good motorway run? I know you don't necessarily buy them for mpg but it does help....
I think the same thing....Why didnt i get a QV!!!
but then i spend 40 minutes commuting each way and that stops all the bad thoughts.
That and the odd burn off the lights :biglaugh: the little 1.4 isnt to slow when it comes down to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you want fuel economy don't buy the QV, i only get about 30mpg max on a long run but it puts a big smile on your face :thumbup:
i did'ny buy it for fuel economy and it beats the GTi brigade in D mode!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The 170MA. I drove a QV in a test drive, but didn't liked it and bought a MA after it. Why would I go for the 170MA (model year 2010-2015):

1. More revy happy engine. The engine is more involving, revs faster and sound (a lot!) better. Same as consumption.
2. Lighter nose. Because of the smaller engine the car is more nimble.
3. Complete package. The most MA here on the mainland of Europe are already well equipped.
4. The price. Taking notions at the point above, the choice is simple.

With a remap the Multiair is almost as quick as the standard QV. The fuel consumption is much better and the start stop system helps you around town saving fuel. Get a Ragazzon or Supersprint exhaust and the sound of the MA is really nice.
Not regretting my choice!

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 170MA. I drove a QV in a test drive, but didn't liked it and bought a MA after it. Why would I go for the 170MA (model year 2010-2015):

1. More revy happy engine. The engine is more involving, revs faster and sound (a lot!) better. Same as consumption.
3. Complete package. The most MA here on the mainland of Europe are already well equipped.

With a remap the Multiair is almost as quick as the standard QV. The fuel consumption is much better and the start stop system helps you around town saving fuel. Get a Ragazzon or Supersprint exhaust and the sound of the MA is really nice.
don't get much more than 25mpg round town in the qv but on a long run I have seen 42mpg
but then again didn't get it for the economy got it to have a good blast :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
my biggest issue would be being forced into having the TCT in the QV..it's a bit dim witted.

I would personally rather a manual car, so the 1.4 multiair for me if new..or an older cloverleaf giulietta with the manual box. I know they don't have the same engine but that box is just not my cuppa.

as always only an opinion I am sure those that have the QV really like the package and maybe you get used to the box, but on my 3 test drives of an hour each time I just never loved the car and it was only because of the gearbox. and yes it was in dynamic..all the time in fact!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Descisions made this afternoon !!!!! I paid a deposit on a 2012 1.4 tb multiair , the 'sportiva' , the garage came to me with the car , and I have to say it went far better/quicker/ than I was expecting , that was in normal mode , I put it in 'd' mode , and I was completely sold !!!!! Great interior as well , I'm
Not sure if it has stop start tho ?? Anyway , it's very involving , and reminds me of my 156 GTA, I know it a completely different scenario , but it's the most fun ,involved drive I've had in a few Alfas , looking forward to it !!! Thanks for the help in making the descisions !!!!

·
Registered
36,828 Posts
Congrats!
The MA is a bit lighter over the front wheels than the diesels and the 1750tbi. Unlike the latter it does have start/stop. Do a search for the subject if it doesn't work straight away the battery will be below 80% charge and some things such as A/C may be requiring its power so the car decides to avoid stopping.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah , ok cool , also ,just curious , should the underside if bonnet have sound deadening ? This has none , but looks like it's never had it ? 1st Alfa I've had without it ??

·
Registered
161 Posts

I had a GMA TCT for four years and the multiair engine is great, no doubt about that. My QV is a 2015 model with the new aluminum engine and it is definitely more willing and smoother than the GMA. It picks up revs incredibly quickly and even if you run it to the limiter through the gears it does so with an effortlessness my GMA never had. It sounds better to my ears as well, rorty and eager, almost like Alfa's of old. Both are great engines but if I have to choose between the two now that I've had lots of experience with both my vote will go to the QV, no doubt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
my biggest issue would be being forced into having the TCT in the QV..it's a bit dim witted.

I would personally rather a manual car, so the 1.4 multiair for me if new..or an older cloverleaf giulietta with the manual box. I know they don't have the same engine but that box is just not my cuppa.

as always only an opinion I am sure those that have the QV really like the package and maybe you get used to the box, but on my 3 test drives of an hour each time I just never loved the car and it was only because of the gearbox. and yes it was in dynamic..all the time in fact!
You need time to learn TCT properly and the software needs time to adjust to your driving style. The upgraded TCT is fantastic, Alfa did a brilliant job. I've never been a fan of Alfa's manual gearboxes and if the QV only came in manual I would've looked elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
You need time to learn TCT properly and the software needs time to adjust to your driving style. The upgraded TCT is fantastic, Alfa did a brilliant job. I've never been a fan of Alfa's manual gearboxes and if the QV only came in manual I would've looked elsewhere.
I suspected it would be something that would require some time to master, and the learning aspect of the software didn't occur to me, as i said i don't own one so good to hear the get the thumbs up from those that own them...I wish I knew the software adaptation side of it earlier as it may have persuaded the wife to buy the Giulietta instead of the pug 208 GT line she went for in the end. she loved the Alfa but hated that gearbox...! frustrating for me as I was so close to us being an Alfa household:biglaugh:

and I hate that Peugeot..it's been back six times and still isn't right. not acceptable from a new car.

I agree about the Alfa manual boxes, My GT will have a short shifter from next week as in stock form the throw is a bit long and they are not the smoothest either, but like the TCT you get used to it!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts